Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Spin-off! What's the worst advice your mom or anyone else has given you?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 30 Replies

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsGrayciesMommy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
5 moms liked this
Wake baby to feed them. DONT. My dd was sleeping 11p-5am since day one and the nurses at the hospital told me to wake and feed her every two hours. No. A sleeping baby will wake when they need to be fed or changed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heartagram_girl
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My mom and grandma both told me not to bother with breastfeeding- formula works just as well, and besides, baby doesnt need to be on the boob- it is unseemly. So of course breastfeeding in public is a big NO NO!.

And my 15 year old cousin (who has 2 kids already) told me that there is nothing wrong with having a glass of wine/a few beers each night to help 'clean out my bladder' and to help relax me when I am preggo.

CafeMom Tickers
meg4763
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

"Smoking in front of the baby is not harmful." This is from my chain-smoking MIL. Needless to say she only watched him for us twice, and he's six now.

pacificamom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

she never changed her mind? ugh

Quoting meg4763:

"Smoking in front of the baby is not harmful." This is from my chain-smoking MIL. Needless to say she only watched him for us twice, and he's six now.

CafeMom Tickers
pacificamom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

lol and it's sooo hard to do! They told me to wake one of my twins who was scary tiny to feed her....yeah I tried EVERYTHING and she'd go right back to sleep. She was tiiirrreeed and adjusting to the world!

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

Wake baby to feed them. DONT. My dd was sleeping 11p-5am since day one and the nurses at the hospital told me to wake and feed her every two hours. No. A sleeping baby will wake when they need to be fed or changed!

CafeMom Tickers
pacificamom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

my mom told me breastfeeding would hurt my marriage...because my dad told her that and she never tried with any of us. Needless to say I've nursed 5 babies LOL. Now she wishes she'd have done it too

TTC2Long
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
My mom tried to convince me to walk around extra a few days pp when my stitches from my vaginal delivery were still healing because "the extra blood flow will help it heal faster." Good thing I called my on who said NO, stay in bed.
pacificamom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

ow!

Quoting TTC2Long:

My mom tried to convince me to walk around extra a few days pp when my stitches from my vaginal delivery were still healing because "the extra blood flow will help it heal faster." Good thing I called my on who said NO, stay in bed.

CafeMom Tickers
MissGore
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

"smoke while pregnant, it helps keep your weight down" "dad's shouldn't be in the delivery room. that's a womans place, and will ruin your marriage if your husband sees" "no matter what anyone says, just smile and agree, it's better to be nice and have friends than to always be right" "even if you aren't in the mood, always please your husband, that's our jobs as women" "never tell anyone when you are sore, tired, hurt, ect.. no one likes a whiner" "never use the bathroom when your husband is home, it's embarassing for men to know we do that" "never talk about your period, period." my mom is full of fun advice.

1CrazyCajun
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Smoking is ok in the home, as long as you don't blow it at the baby.

Add a little whiskey to his bottle and he'll sleep better. 0_o. Umm hell no.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN