Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

When does baby turn head down?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm 29 weeks now and not sure what position he's in.  My last was breech and had to be c-sectioned, I don't want that again! When do they normally turn?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

At 20 weeks about a quarter of babies are breech (25%), by 40 weeks only 4% are.
They can turn and return at any time.
A cesarean is a risky route and if you'd prefer to save one for a true ned be sure you hire a care provider with a wider range of training/skills.    Cesarean for breech is one option--
Not to mention the many safer things to coax baby to turn vertex, too.

GL!
:-)   Not to worr
y yet...

mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:40 AM
They can flip at at any point and even flip back again. Some babies don't even flip head down until you're in labor.
mrsp1212
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Well last baby was breech even through 10 hrs of labor at 39 weeks.  Tried a version- did not work.  Many things did not work.  I'm hoping it will not happen again.

doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mrsp1212:

Well last baby was breech even through 10 hrs of labor at 39 weeks.  Tried a version- did not work.  Many things did not work.  I'm hoping it will not happen again.

What else did you try?
Home strategies or Moxibustion, Webster, Pulsatilla?

You can request another practitioner now (at least for back up) that has more experience/training so you can avoid a cesarean--  unless really needed.
Lots of doctors and midwives are well experienced and able to attend vaginal breech deliveries making it safer than a surgical birth.    Something to check into now if you're interested.

mrsp1212
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I work for a Chinese medicine doctor/acupuncturist.  I tried a lot of things but in the end was not willing to risk neurological damage just for the pleasure of a vaginal birth. 

Mom2five87
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

This baby was breech at my 28 week ultrasound and head down at my 32 week ultrasound. Now I am 34 weeks and he is still head down. I can tell by where I feel his hiccups. lol. They can turn at ANY time though.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Muppet2010
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My daughter was still not head down at my 31 week ultrasound they tried to tell me that she more than likely would not turn and that I would need to go to the hospital for them to give me some medication to relax my uterus and turn her manually. Which they said could cause my water to break and obviously send me into labor. They wanted to do this around 37 weeks and also told me my baby girl was gonna be tiny. So I denied them to do it because if she was gonna be small why risk that. Well I had her at exactly 40 weeks naturally she changed by herself and weighed 8lbs 2 ozs lol so much for tiny. 

nisha723
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM

36-40

xotatiannaxo
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Both of mine didnt turn untill around 35 weeks. which was a bit worrysome. So you have time!

rbailey2414
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
My son didnt turn at all the whole pregnancy- was head up from 20 weeks to birth. Ceserean. My girl in my belly was head down at 21 weeks (today) so hopefully she stays so I can have my vbac!! Good luck hun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)