Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

FMLA QUESTIONS!!!!! ??????

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

How does your employer handle your FMLA? are you allowed to take FMLA when you are ready for it, or does it have to be the day you deliver, or get put on bedrest?? I have considered starting my FMLA about 2 wks before my C-section just because the swelling is so bad, and I am just sooo damn miserable, but from what my HR is telling me, I have to have a medical reason behind taking it. basically I have to be put on bedrest...... anyone else dealt with this, or been through it..... what did you do? what was the outcome??

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

HR gives the paperwork and your doctor fills it out... take it in to your doctor and tell him you want it 2 weeks before. My doc never had a problem doing it for DH but all doctors are different.

CollinMommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I will try that. I am miserable and something has to give!!! 

Quoting Larsbug:

HR gives the paperwork and your doctor fills it out... take it in to your doctor and tell him you want it 2 weeks before. My doc never had a problem doing it for DH but all doctors are different.

Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

your HR has no right to question you regarding FMLA, especially if your doctor fills it out.

Quoting CollinMommy:

Quoting Larsbug:

CollinMommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM

They made me have my doctor fax over a letter stating it was medically necessary for me to see a cardiologist before they would approve the time off...... I have to turn in a doctors form for EVERYTHING!!! My doctor filled out all my FMLA papers in the begining of the pregnancy, is there another set of paperwork I need her to fill out??

Quoting Larsbug:

your HR has no right to question you regarding FMLA, especially if your doctor fills it out.

Quoting CollinMommy:

Quoting Larsbug:

andymom2be
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
My doctor said its completely up to me. I wanted to go on leave 2 weeks before my due date but I work twelve hour shifts and by the time I get home I am miserable and in bed because I can't move. So I will be going on leave after next week. Just a week early. Your HR has no right to question when you go on leave its really your choice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

one set should be all you need, if you want to take the time and they are going to hassle you then ask your doctor to send them a letter stating that you need to take time off...what state are you in? You should look into your labor laws because in my state they are not allowed to question anything.

Quoting CollinMommy:

They made me have my doctor fax over a letter stating it was medically necessary for me to see a cardiologist before they would approve the time off...... I have to turn in a doctors form for EVERYTHING!!! My doctor filled out all my FMLA papers in the begining of the pregnancy, is there another set of paperwork I need her to fill out??

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting CollinMommy:

Quoting Larsbug:

chickensmommy
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Mine has to be the day I deliver unless there is a medical reason for me to be off.
CollinMommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I'm in Illinois

Quoting Larsbug:

one set should be all you need, if you want to take the time and they are going to hassle you then ask your doctor to send them a letter stating that you need to take time off...what state are you in? You should look into your labor laws because in my state they are not allowed to question anything.

Quoting CollinMommy:

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting CollinMommy:

Quoting Larsbug:

Emilytrademark
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

:( You know I am in the same dilemma. So far, my HR and my midwives are saying two different things. HR says absolutely no leave before hand unless there is a legitimate medical reason, midwives are saying - we approve you to leave anytime you want. I wish I had a good answer. My midwives suggested contacting my company's legal department - you may try that

BabyFruit Ticker
CollinMommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I will try that!!! Can't hurt to see!! 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

:( You know I am in the same dilemma. So far, my HR and my midwives are saying two different things. HR says absolutely no leave before hand unless there is a legitimate medical reason, midwives are saying - we approve you to leave anytime you want. I wish I had a good answer. My midwives suggested contacting my company's legal department - you may try that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)