Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take iron while TTC?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hey guys! I Am trying to get pregnant and taking the gummy prenatal vitamins because they don't bother my stomach. But I noticed they say they do not contain iron. Is this something I should be worried about getting now or when I get pregnant? Thanks :)
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
You could switch to Flintstones vitamins with Iron that's what my obgyn told me

Good luck.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Unless you have a very bad diet, no. Not a huge concern. :)

Mamasgotthis817
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Thanks ladies!!
GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM

If you need iron you should. Are you anemic? If you do take iron make sure you drink orange juice to help with absorption.

Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Flinstone vitamins with iron are my pick - they shouldn't make you sick like a lot of prenatals might. And I like the gummy ones too, but switched when i realized they didn't have iron. While you're TTC it's probably not a big deal, you can get iron through lots of foods.

Mamasgotthis817
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Thanks everyone!! I am not anemic now but I was very sick and anemic when I was pregnant for my daughter so it probably isn't a bad idea for me to have it. @goddess thanks for the orange juice tip I have never heard of that :)
mem82
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Yes, I would take Iron supplements.

EvilAsh
by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

If you're prone to anemia or not getting enough regularly in your diet, I would switch. I sometimes need to take additional iron because I become anemic easily it seems.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Iron is hard to absorb in pill form. The best would be to increase your iron naturally through foods, your body will absorb it much better.

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM
This.

And, most important thing for the first weeks of baby's development is that folic acid. Mist other nutrients can be obtained through a healthy diet.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Iron is hard to absorb in pill form. The best would be to increase your iron naturally through foods, your body will absorb it much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured