Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How swollen is too swollen ? Update!! Wtf is this?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have a swelling problem in this pregnancy. My feet ankles and entire legs stay swollen. I've done everything my drs and midwives have said to do and nothing helps. Even the bottom if my feet swell and they become quite painful. Today is the worst it's been. I'm just wondering how swollen is too swollen.

I have noticed this morning that my stomach is also swollen. Now the bottom of it hangs (grosses me out) and is super tender and very swollen like my legs and feet and ankles. If I press on it it leaves a big indention for a while. I have never had this much swelling before. Bp is normal and urine was fine at yesterday's appointment. Has anyone else had swelling like this?
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pregnantmama105
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Get your bp check. And check to see if there is protein in your urine. I was swellon like hams for ankles. And I had HELLP syndrome.
lovebugs_mom906
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I was really swollen with my kids, to the point of being painful. I never had protein in my urine, and my bp was were it always was. I was just swollen :-(
I agree with pp who said get your bp checked. If its raised and there is protein in your urine, you need to see your doctor ASAP. How far along are you?
Vcoskey
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I have had terrible swelling through both of my pregnancies, but never any protein or bp issues. Doc keeps an eye on it, and makes sure there's no pain where he presses on my legs, but other than that it's just a waiting game.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
brittany208
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

google pre-eclampsia and see if you have any of the other symptoms. I felt really swollen the other day but had zero other signs, so I figured it was just the combination of the wrong shoes/heat/working all day. if you have high bood pressure or any other signs, call the dr immediately, but some sweling is normal.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

swelling can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. But the then with pre-E is you can have mild swelling and still have it or severe swelling and not have it. Only way to know is check your urine for protein or your blood pressure.

Burwell11989
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM
My Bp is fine. I'm just really swollen. I'm at 38 weeks. Going by fast and slow at the same time. I can press anywhere on my legs ankles or feet and there will be an indention for hours. I also have spd. So this all seriously getting in the way of taking care of my daughter she just turned one.
MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If nothing you do helps and your entire legs stay swollen that can be a definite sign of preeclampsia, just make sure they keep a check on your BP.  You're almost to the end, but I almost died in a matter of a week and a half from undiagnosed preeclampsia/hellp... so just keep an eye on it!

BeFit-Mom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Has your dr evaluated you for pre-eclampsia? Swelling of the feet/legs is a common first symptom. Get tested for gestasional diabetes too.

Since your swelling is causing pain, get a referral to a therapist who specializes in lymphatic drainage. This will help you a lot. If you can't get a referral, or afford to see one on your own, you can increase circulation by lying down on the floor, with your feet resting on an ottoman or soft chair, and while in this position, do gentle ankle circles, and flex/point your feet. The muscle contractions will pump fluids back up your legs, and the position will give you significant gravity assist.

A family member can also do gentle massage while your in this position too. Have them use long, steady, strokes (with oiled hands) to from your feet to your knees.

Cut out as much salt as you can out of your diet. NO processed foods, or fast foods. Only use low salt canned foods. Use talbe salt sparingly while cooking.

Sitting in a chair with your feet on a foot rest will not give you enough elevation to reduce this level of swelling.

BeFit-Mom

daydreamer86
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Mobile Photo

This was my abnormal swelling a month and 3 days before my emergency c section. I had pre e at this time but wasnt diagnosed with it until 2 weeks before my emergency c section at 37.3 weeks. I told my dr i was about to burst. My hands were sollen like this too and had pregnancy induced carpel tunnel.

Some swelling in pregnancy is normal but if you look like my feet did, i would speak up and ask for a 24 hour urine test. My swelling never went down until i had my ds
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)