Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Went to the ER and found out something, what would you do??

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 45 Replies

OKay, here is my background...

First Daughter Evelyn, born 2010, one month earlier, minor health issues.

Second Pregnancy, was 3-4 months pregnant, miscarried.

Third Daughter Olivia, born healthy and at 40 weeks.

Just found out I'm pregnant with #4 two weeks ago.

I went to the ER on Thursday b/c I didn't know how far along I was and was having bad pains in my stomach and back and severe anxiety attacks. Dr asked me if I was RH negative, and I said I couldn't be b/c I just had my 2nd DD a year ago, but he ran tests anyway, even though I had my 1st DD at that hospital and I wasn't in my chart - or +.

He came back and said I was DEFINITELY RH negative. He was shocked b/c I had been pregnant 3 other times and it hasn't been addressed and furthermore, I haven't had any shots during ANY pregnancies. I got a shot that day and have to see my OB this week if possible.

I am beyond angry. I feel like my previous OB's put my DDs in danger and I did suffer a miscarriage. Would you seek a malpractice lawsuit???

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy31308
by Ashlee on May. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
No I wouldn't seek a malpractice lawsuit. No one was harmed. I'd be thankful that your Dr figured it out and he can now take the proper precautions to keep you and baby safe.

I would be angry and upset and may contact them to let them know their error and better practices should be put into place but that's absolutely the most I would do.
Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Thats crazy that they never asked or tested!

I'm rh- and had a shot with first, and early in this pregnancy, and plan on getting a 2nd shot in about a month. Not having the shot can definitely cause some issues with the pregnancy.
goddiddlyumshis
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
No one was harmed, so no. as for getting the shot, are you sure you didn't get it after birth? you get it 72 hours after birth. have you gotten your records from the hospital,asked any doctor you were using? good thing is you know NOW youre rh negative. . you got the rhogam shot. . you'll be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Having the shot may have prevented the miscarriage, but that could have been a different issue altogrther.

Quoting amy31308:

No I wouldn't seek a malpractice lawsuit. No one was harmed. I'd be thankful that your Dr figured it out and he can now take the proper precautions to keep you and baby safe.

I would be angry and upset and may contact them to let them know their error and better practices should be put into place but that's absolutely the most I would do.

Tea4Tas
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a prayer youy can win.  First of all is the Father of the baby RH positive? Then the first child you had would also need to be RH positive.  Oh and I am the second child of an RH- Mother who has an RH positive Father.

My mom never got shots as they han't been invented. There is no way at this point to prove that the miscarriage was caused by anything...including RH- sensitization.

Oh and first trimester miscarriages wouldn't be caused by RH anyhow.

amy31308
by Ashlee on May. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Absolutely no way to know that though. This is no grounds for a lawsuit imo

Quoting Hafsa1:

Having the shot may have prevented the miscarriage, but that could have been a different issue altogrther.

Quoting amy31308:

Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Although there is no way to know why the miscarriage happened, they can't say it wasn't the rh- factor either. No, I don't think a lawsuit is necessary but definitely a check into their practices for those that should have checked. There should be some type of accountability.

Quoting amy31308:

Absolutely no way to know that though. This is no grounds for a lawsuit imo

Quoting Hafsa1:

Quoting amy31308:

Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
A lawsuit is definitely not necessary. If I am not mistaken, as I am not rh-, I don't think you get the shot until sometime later in pregnancy and then after birth. My sister is rh- and got her shot around 28 weeks, I believe. I do not think this shot would've prevented your miscarriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinlife2005
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I did suffer a miscarriage with my 2nd.

Quoting amy31308:

lovinlife2005
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The ER dr was able to pull up my medical records b/c of delivering there. He said it was no where indicated I was RH-. Also, he said they never gave me shots. The Dr was upset b/c my first OB missed this, and he knows the practice, and they do test. Then the hospital I went to for my miscarriage did test me, but never labled me either, and then I also went to a different practice with my third pregnancy. They tested and never put it in my records.They also said I would definitely know if I got the shot, b/c I have to carry a card around stating I received blood products and RH-.

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

No one was harmed, so no. as for getting the shot, are you sure you didn't get it after birth? you get it 72 hours after birth. have you gotten your records from the hospital,asked any doctor you were using? good thing is you know NOW youre rh negative. . you got the rhogam shot. . you'll be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)