Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My updated birth plan, what do you think? *made some changes*

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

I cut a few redundant things out and I changed the font and size, so it is now *just* over 1 page. I could not shorten it anymore, I tried... Here it is:

Birth Plan

Labor

-I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the restroom as needed or desired so I request that a heparin lock be administered instead of an IV and to be monitored wirelessly

-Please allow me to labor in a quiet, soothing environment with minimal interruption and minimal to no vaginal exams

-I would like access to use of a birthing ball and to labor in the water

-I would like my doula to be an active and involved member of my support group and be allowed to help me as necessary and act as an advocate for me in all decisions, as well as for her to remain updated on my status and to ask questions and have them answered

Delivery

-Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming Phoenix is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase and push uncoached

Anesthesia/Pain Management/Medication

-If I ask for pain relief, please feel free to offer non-medical choices for coping and/or remind me how close I am to the birth

-If pain relief is considered I would like to try or Stadol before an epidural

After Birth 

-I would like my daughter to announce the gender of Phoenix

-I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut

-My husband would like the option of cutting the cord

-Please delay all essential routine procedures on Phoenix until after the bonding and breastfeeding period, asking for 45 minutes

Newborn Care

- Please delay initial eye medication until we are well past the initial bonding period, asking for 45 minutes

Cesarean Section Delivery

-I would like a respectful atmosphere without chatter during any part of the procedure

-If possible, please do not strap my arms to the table during the procedure and lower the screen so I may see the birth of my baby

-Please do not announce the gender of Phoenix, I would prefer my daughter to announce the gender

-If conditions permit, I would like to be the first to hold my baby after the delivery and breastfeed

-I would prefer my husband to stay with Phoenix at all times if it is necessary for us to be separated

Postpartum

-Assuming I feel up to it and the baby is healthy, I would like to be released from the hospital as soon as possible following the birth, I will return to my pediatricians office for the 48 hour PKU test

-If I do have to stay over-night, I would prefer my daughter Summer to stay with me so my husband can be home with our other two children

Breastfeeding

-I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth

-Please do not give Phoenix supplements (including formula, glucose or plain water) without my consent, unless there is an urgent medical necessity

Sick Baby

-I would prefer to breastfeed my baby, if it is not possible, I prefer my baby have my expressed breast milk only

-Within reason I would like a courtesy room available to me for the duration of my baby's stay

-If baby is transported I would prefer to go with my baby

by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

WOW, thats a lot! Hope your Dr and Nurses respect your wishes!

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

If it were me, I'd take out all of the "I would like" and change it to "I will". When you're more blunt about your desires, there's less gray area for your wishes to be questioned/interfered with.

brittany208
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I very respectfully disagree with this. I read somewhere that the longer the birth plan, the more likely the woman is to need more interventions. Because she gets so focused on having things one particular way, instead of doing what is best for baby if interventions are needed. I worded mine very politely. "While pushing, I would like..." bullet point, bullet point, bullet point. "After birth, I would like..." bullet point, bullet point, bullet point. And at the end I put **Assuming mom and baby are doing well. Because these things are very important to me, but not more important than the safety of my baby if something goes wrong.

Quoting Pandapanda:

If it were me, I'd take out all of the "I would like" and change it to "I will". When you're more blunt about your desires, there's less gray area for your wishes to be questioned/interfered with.

brittany208
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Also, it's kind of long. I would take out as much of the bulk as you possibly can. For example, you said that you want your daughter to announce the gender 2-3 times. And is she going to be in the room if you have a C-section anyways?

I would call the hospital and ask about their routines and policies as well, so you don't put anything on your birth plan that they would be doing anyways. For example, my hospital already has a 2hr bonding time with mom and baby after birth, so i knew I could leave that off of my birth plan. Things like the courtesy room you can call and ask about. Because either they will give you one or not, regardless of what is on your birth plan.

But I think it looks like a great plan. Just needs a little tweaking. I can post mine if you want to see it.

summerbear
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Only my husband would be in the room if a c-section is needed. I have the part about my daughter announcing the gender because I do not want them to say it at all. I want my daughter to be the one, even if she isn't in the room when baby is born...

It was actually longer... it is 2 1/2 pages when printed. Page one has labor- anesthesia. Page 2 has after birth- newborn care. Page 3 has the last three which takes half a page. I went over it with my OB and she told me the things that were already policy so I did take them out. It is still a little bulky, but once printed it isn't as bad as it looks! :)

Quoting brittany208:

Also, it's kind of long. I would take out as much of the bulk as you possibly can. For example, you said that you want your daughter to announce the gender 2-3 times. And is she going to be in the room if you have a C-section anyways?

I would call the hospital and ask about their routines and policies as well, so you don't put anything on your birth plan that they would be doing anyways. For example, my hospital already has a 2hr bonding time with mom and baby after birth, so i knew I could leave that off of my birth plan. Things like the courtesy room you can call and ask about. Because either they will give you one or not, regardless of what is on your birth plan.

But I think it looks like a great plan. Just needs a little tweaking. I can post mine if you want to see it.

brittany208
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Birth plans should generally be under a page. Find out the hospital's policies and take out anything they would do anyways. Group things together that you have in multiple places 

Quoting summerbear:

Only my husband would be in the room if a c-section is needed. I have the part about my daughter announcing the gender because I do not want them to say it at all. I want my daughter to be the one, even if she isn't in the room when baby is born...

It was actually longer... it is 2 1/2 pages when printed. Page one has labor- anesthesia. Page 2 has after birth- newborn care. Page 3 has the last three which takes half a page. I went over it with my OB and she told me the things that were already policy so I did take them out. It is still a little bulky, but once printed it isn't as bad as it looks! :)

Quoting brittany208:

summerbear
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I do know that this is only a plan. Just that. If anything were to happen, baby comes first and the plan goes out the window! I know certain things may not happen just because it is typed up and I am fine with that. The health of my baby will always come over any of my labor/birthing desires.

Quoting brittany208:

I very respectfully disagree with this. I read somewhere that the longer the birth plan, the more likely the woman is to need more interventions. Because she gets so focused on having things one particular way, instead of doing what is best for baby if interventions are needed. I worded mine very politely. "While pushing, I would like..." bullet point, bullet point, bullet point. "After birth, I would like..." bullet point, bullet point, bullet point. And at the end I put **Assuming mom and baby are doing well. Because these things are very important to me, but not more important than the safety of my baby if something goes wrong.

Quoting Pandapanda:

summerbear
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
At my last appointment last Monday I went over it with my OB. She told me which things were already hospital policy and she shares my "as close to homebirth" view on labor and delivery! She has had 3 children and 2 of them were home water births! She even said as long as mom and baby are doing well she tries to get them home 6-12 hours after birth! :)

Quoting NoraDun:

WOW, thats a lot! Hope your Dr and Nurses respect your wishes!

brittany208
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

This is mine. It is less than a page. Easy to read, with plenty of white space. I left out about being induced, because that would be decided before I even got there. Or, if I showed up to be induced, I wouldn't be in labor, so I could just tell them.

Birth Preferences

Mom's Name:  Brittany xxx                          Partner's Name: Ben xxx

Doctor's Name: xxx                        Due Date: May 18th, 2013

During labor, I would like:

•·         Ben with me at all times.

•·         To be left alone by everyone else as much as possible.

•·         To be allowed to eat light snacks and drink water or juice, if I am hungry/thirsty.

•·         To labor (but NOT deliver) in a birth tub before and/or after my water has broken, if the tub is available.

Pain medication:

•·         I am hoping to give birth as naturally as possible. Please do not offer me anything for the pain.

While pushing, I would like:

•·         To wait until I feel the urge to push AND am fully dilated.

•·         To listen to my body and push as I have the urge to. No coaching/counting please.

•·         To be allowed to push in whatever position I find most comfortable.

•·         I am fine with being in a dr-friendly position when it is time for baby to actually come out.

•·         I prefer not to have an episiotomy. Please let me know when baby is crowning, so I can ease him out slowly and gently.

Immediately after delivery, I would like:

•·         To hold baby to my chest immediately-baby checks can be done from there.

•·         To delay cord clamping 3 min or so.

Concerning baby:

•·         Anti-biotic eye ointment: No

•·         Vitamin K shot: Yes

•·         Hep shot: No

•·         Formula, pacifier, sugar water: No

•·         Circumcision: Yes

:) Thank You!!!! :)

**All assuming mom and baby are both doing well, of course

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Well I like what you wrote in the end its you paying for it. So you should have what you want
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)