Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

hospital bag

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this
What the heck is suppose to go into them?! Lol my father says I'm ginourmus which makes me feel like more of a whale. I have my baby shower in 2 weeks and he thinks I'll pop before then. So he says I need to pack a bag. And I ask what I'm supposed to pack and all I get is a I dunno I've never been pregnant.. Oh jeez dad thanks for your help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg4763
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I will probably take:  2 outfits for myself, 1-2 outfits for hubby (just in case), 2-4 outfits for baby, pajama set, pads in case I don't like their huge ones, snacks for hubby and son,  makeup, hair dryer, nursing tanks/bras,,,,,I may think of more later, but that might be all.

Mommy2beQua
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM
I wanna know too. Lol
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

It is really hard to know when one will actually "pop."  The size of the baby bump is never a good tell for me for when I would go.  As far as what goes into a baby bag, I try to keep it pretty simple.  I pack clothes for me, underwear, toiletries, cameras, and a few take home outfits for baby.

Clemency3
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM

lol...with my other two pregnancies I didn't have a bag ready till about like 2 weeks before the due date. Basically your bathroom needs, change of clothes, baby clothes, baby blanket and all for baby to go home. any breast care if you plan on breast feeding. a pillow from home if you prefer your own. pretty much pretend that baby is already born and you and the baby are going to spend the night and you need a sleep over bag. that is how I think of it. 

The hospital will give you pads because you will bleed but bring your own if you don't like theirs. I prefer theirs just because they are HUGE and give you ultimate protection lol. 

CafeMom Tickers

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I pack 3 changes of clothes for me. Pads. Toiletry items, camera, something to help with boredom (book, music, etc) shower shoes, socks.

For baby, two gowns, two outfits, mittens and socks or something for hands and feet, wipes, 2 burp cloths and receiving blankets, boppy (if you aren't nursing don't worry about it, a thicker blanket, and her comb and brush. Leave room to swipe all the extra the hospital gives you. (Diapers, t shirts, alcohol pads, aspirator bulb etc.)
hopeym23
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I never actually needed one.

Let me add that I have had three c-sections.  The only time I actually needed something for boredom was for my first baby.  My second I went into labor hard and fast at home and had him 4 hours later and my third was a scheduled c-section so we went straight to the operating room.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I found that the slim overnight pads work just as well. Theirs are high but they are so bulky. Unless i'm using the ones with the ice pack thing i just use. Overnights.

Quoting Clemency3:

lol...with my other two pregnancies I didn't have a bag ready till about like 2 weeks before the due date. Basically your bathroom needs, change of clothes, baby clothes, baby blanket and all for baby to go home. any breast care if you plan on breast feeding. a pillow from home if you prefer your own. pretty much pretend that baby is already born and you and the baby are going to spend the night and you need a sleep over bag. that is how I think of it. 

The hospital will give you pads because you will bleed but bring your own if you don't like theirs. I prefer theirs just because they are HUGE and give you ultimate protection lol. 

angevil53
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Omg! Camera! Thanks i forgot!!!! Getting it now (if i don't forget when i walk in the other room).

Op i agree with this. In the hospital they have comfy gowns so clothes aren't super important. I have packed twice now (ds was born early so no bag at all). I pack super light. I hate having too much to carry around. Mine has clothes, socks, deodorant, toothbrush.

Quoting meam4444:

It is really hard to know when one will actually "pop."  The size of the baby bump is never a good tell for me for when I would go.  As far as what goes into a baby bag, I try to keep it pretty simple.  I pack clothes for me, underwear, toiletries, cameras, and a few take home outfits for baby.

brittany208
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Two really good lists online:

http://pregnant.thebump.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-tools/articles/checklist-packing-a-hospital-bag.aspx

and

http://www.babycenter.com/packing-for-the-hospital-or-birth-center?page=1

I found with my first I packed way too much (like a picture to look at, and a little alarm clock that made relaxing nature sounds) and I barely even opened my bag until after baby was out. but you never know what you need. also--call the hospital and see what they provide. things like diapers for baby and pads for you, they very likely already have. im not bothering with pretty much any infant care things except a couple outfits, a hat, and a blankie. (newborns are freezing the first couple days)

angevil53
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I liked theirs too! Asked for extra to bring home. They are huge but it's not like i care if i feel sexy.

Quoting Clemency3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)