Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is your doc/midwife a man or a woman?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 47 Replies

Are you happy with him/her?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

With DS1 I had a male OB who had help deliver him (episitomy, long traumatic birth) and I had a botched episitiomy that will give me problems with this delivery more than likely. My care was with an female OB and saw her twice. I was not pleased with my care. I saw the midwifes in he practice and were very pleased with them.

This pregnancy i've had a female midwife and she has been amazing, reassuring, peaceful, like an amazing friend who I can laugh about things with. She has been an amazing source of knowledge and counsel to me. Especially now since I am 40w and I've had false labor twice. I am really looking forward to my delivery this time because I know what I am walking into.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Woman! I adore her.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I have two female midwives that will attend my birth, a female Doula, and a female birthing assistant! Poor Hubby will be the only guy in the room other then the boys :)

brittany208
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Man. When I was pregnant the first time, I was given a woman recommendation and a man recommendation. Well, I did NOT like the lady, so the man it is! And he's a pretty good dr.

I like how he is very laid back. Everyone says how supportive he is of natural childbirth. He is also a pediatrician, so my kids keep seeing him after they are born.

If I ever get pregnant again though.... dont know if I would go to him again, or if I would find a midwife. He's a good dr, but the more I learn about and support a really natural childbirth, the more I see he's fine with the things I want, but he doesnt really think they are necessary. (example: he told me he is fine with me pushing in whatever position I want, but he doesnt think that there's any reason not be on your back on the table and that gravity really doesnt have anything to do with it....)

Yurixsi
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Male I love my hippie doctor.
LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I had a man the first time and he was awesome and I have a man this time as well....I haven't met him yet but I will on Monday.
CelestialSong
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I only see women. My midwives and all of the birth center staff are female. I just personally would not be comfortable with a man, even if I did need to switch to an OB.

tammy_lynne
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

In the office I go to, you have to see every doctor. They are all Male. 

Honestly having a history of sexual abuse, this was really hard for me (still kind of is). I cried before my first appointment. 

I would switch, but this is the only practice to go to where I can deliver at the same hospital I had my son in. 

They have honestly been great though, And the nurse staff there is very supportive. 

Vcoskey
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM
My OB is male (as was my OB for my first). This one is absolutely amazing, though. He's a Jamaican immigrant and really believes in the power of a woman's body and not being intrusive to the natural process. Every woman doc I've ever had has been more aggressive and even hurtful during exams and checks. I wouldn't trade my doc for anything!
wkukid
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Female. I think she's great. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)