Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ultrasound at 5 weeks - why??

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone know why a doctor would want to do an ultrasound at 5 weeks? You can't really see anything at that point, right? I just found out I'm pregnant and scheduled my first appt for next week, and they want to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm not really a fan of those to begin with, and after two completely healthy pregnancies, I don't really see the purpose of doing an ultrasound so early. I might feel different if I had a history of high risk pregnancies or miscarriages, but I don't. I'm thinking of asking if we can skip the ultrasound for now and wait to do it for a few months. I'm not sure though - if there's a good medical reason to do it, of course i'm fine with it. i just feel its a little uneccesary. what would you do?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM
A dating ultrasound would be more exact in a month when they could actually measure the baby rather than just the sac.

Quoting Larsbug:

mine that early was to make sure the due date was were it should be and where I thought it was...good thing too because I was off with both of mine

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on May. 8, 2013 at 1:18 AM

They are probably just doing it for dating reasons. Completely unnecessary. I would say no it were me. You should also ask what their reasoning is.

TTC2Long
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Money. You're right, at 5 weeks, there's very little, if anything, to see.
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM
I had ultrasound done at 5 weeks with my last pregnancy because I have history of ectopic pregnancies and it was to make sure it wasn't another ectopic.
Mittenmommie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM
I had one Monday and dear lord it has me more worked up than before I had it.. Now they have me checking my hcg twice, which I meet did with my first pregnancy so no idea what the heck to think
milfanyway
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM
I had one to rule out ectopic. History of pid makes ectopic pregnancies likely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:20 AM
My friend has a history of ectopic...two back to back so that is why they did hers. No need otherwise. I would decline
RhondaVeggie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM
It's to check dates. You want an accurate date to avoid grief about induction down the line.
ilovemykids732
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM
This!

Quoting Iamstacey:

To date the pregnancy is what they told me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melamma
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Alot of doctor's like to officially officially confirm a pregnancy via u/s. I had one that early becuase I had a miscarriage before I got pregnant this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN