Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ultrasound at 5 weeks - why??

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone know why a doctor would want to do an ultrasound at 5 weeks? You can't really see anything at that point, right? I just found out I'm pregnant and scheduled my first appt for next week, and they want to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm not really a fan of those to begin with, and after two completely healthy pregnancies, I don't really see the purpose of doing an ultrasound so early. I might feel different if I had a history of high risk pregnancies or miscarriages, but I don't. I'm thinking of asking if we can skip the ultrasound for now and wait to do it for a few months. I'm not sure though - if there's a good medical reason to do it, of course i'm fine with it. i just feel its a little uneccesary. what would you do?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

You can refuse it.  I don't see the point in having one that early either, I had my first at 12 weeks when there was actually something to see!

babygirl3796
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

They might be doing it to help confirm that you are pregnant. They did the same thing to me.

steviemmt1990
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

they did one for me at 5 weeks just to determine exactly how far along i was. 

mama91605
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I had 3 normal pregnancy and then lost a baby at 9 wks.  But i see why you would not want one so early.

brandie1470
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Mine was to make sure pregnancy was in my uterus. I had an ectopic 9 months ago

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
The earlier the u/s the more accurate they can estimate the due date.
Mommynwife26
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I had one at 6wks with my 2nd to confirm pregnancy and get a due date. Though we did end up hearing the heartbeat then, even though that wasnt guaranteed.

DaconosMommy
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I had one at 6 weeks when I was pregnant with dd and that was only to make sure everything was ok since I had a m/c 6 months before. I havent had one with this little one yet and I'm only 6 weeks 1 day

Ilovemybbgrl
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Its to ensure that you are having an intrauterine pregnancy and not ectopic but I agree not seeing much can be disheartening. my baby didnt show itself until last week and tomorrow im ten weeks! Im sure you could imagine how worried I was!
PinkHart
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM
They can still get a date with just measuring the sac. But most do it to make sure its interuterine.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

A dating ultrasound would be more exact in a month when they could actually measure the baby rather than just the sac.

Quoting Larsbug:

mine that early was to make sure the due date was were it should be and where I thought it was...good thing too because I was off with both of mine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)