Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ultrasound at 5 weeks - why??

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone know why a doctor would want to do an ultrasound at 5 weeks? You can't really see anything at that point, right? I just found out I'm pregnant and scheduled my first appt for next week, and they want to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm not really a fan of those to begin with, and after two completely healthy pregnancies, I don't really see the purpose of doing an ultrasound so early. I might feel different if I had a history of high risk pregnancies or miscarriages, but I don't. I'm thinking of asking if we can skip the ultrasound for now and wait to do it for a few months. I'm not sure though - if there's a good medical reason to do it, of course i'm fine with it. i just feel its a little uneccesary. what would you do?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
The most accurate time is between 8 and 12 weeks. Prior to that baby is too small, and it's harder to get an accurate measurement, after 13 weeks babies grow at different rates. At 5 weeks they're just measuring the sac, because that's all you're likely to see. The only thing a 5 week ultrasound does at all reliably is tell you it's in the uterus.

Quoting tjane3000:

The earlier the u/s the more accurate they can estimate the due date.

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM
This is just what my doctors told me. I have always had my u/s early. both around 6wks and saw heart beats at both with transvaginal. My first came right on his dd so id say they were pretty accurate! Lol

Quoting tyrelsmom:

The most accurate time is between 8 and 12 weeks. Prior to that baby is too small, and it's harder to get an accurate measurement, after 13 weeks babies grow at different rates. At 5 weeks they're just measuring the sac, because that's all you're likely to see. The only thing a 5 week ultrasound does at all reliably is tell you it's in the uterus.

Quoting tjane3000:

The earlier the u/s the more accurate they can estimate the due date.

Koux
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
So... I just spoke with my docs office, and I'm very confused. I cancelled the ultrasound, but the nurse said he would probably still want me to do one anyway, and then will still want to do one a few weeks from now. That makes no sense to me. If we'll be doing an ultrasound a few weeks from now anyway, can't we just confirm dates then?? I'm just feeling a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing, and I'm very confused. The only real reason she could tell me is because he "likes" to confirm dates. That's just not a good enough reason for me.
meg4763
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

My first u/s was at exactly 7 weeks, and it was a transvaginal one.  I hate that kind too, but we saw the yolk sac and heartbeat.  I had the second one at the 20 wk, and my third will be the 36 wk. My ins pays for 3 u/s.

KayelynnsMama
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

No idea. My doctor doesn't even see patients until after 12 weeks. They can't make you do it.. So if you're sure of your LMP then skip it.

pacificamom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Check for ectopic and multiples

mommyto3121405
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM

usually only do them if u have had a loss to track progress

Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

A lot of doctors do it to determine exactly how far along you are. I liked having an early ultrasound for peace of mind because the idea of an ectopic was horrifying to me - I think they should do them more routinely so they can catch ectopic pregnancies BEFORE woman's tubes burst and they lose them or almost die. Like seriously, it happens by the time you're in serious pain from it it's usually too late to save the tube and ovary.

livingforthem83
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Because you have insurance. If you had state insurance it wouldn't pay for it and you wouldn't get one.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Who knows. Probably because your insurance will pay for it.

My due date group had scads of women going for 5 weeks ultrasounds and seeing nothing... or no heartbeat yet.... and coming out more worried than when they went in. Really sad.

LuvMommysBabies
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I had one that early, but i am high risk and i think it was more of seeing if i was pregnant. A sac could be seen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)