Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound weight. Two different ones which to believe?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 28 Replies

Hi all! So Monday I had 2 ultrasound from 2 different doctors, my regular on an ob and my maternal fetal health doctor. I didn't know I was getting one from my maternal fetal on that day too. At my maternal fetal they did a profile scan because I have GD, my surgars have been off and they just wanted to check baby. They said he was in the 52 % at 2lbs 14 oz. When I went to my regular ob they did one because when they did a belly measure I was measuring 4 weeks a head. They said baby was in the 92% and was 3 1/2 lbs!! She was talking about a possible c-section do to his size and me being small. She guessed him at 10+ at birth. On one hand I have had 3 kids in the 6 lb range. But  on the other I do have GD and it can cause higher weight babys. The fetal health was a tech who is really good but I did note was distracted. The OB was a doctor but i heard techs are  better. Who whould you beleive on the size?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

NEVER believe U/S weight... and don't do a c-section because of babies weight and you being small...that's no reason to have one. They told me DS1 would be a big boy around 10+ lbs according to ultrasound and DS2 would be tiny, around 5 lbs according to ultrasound. DS1 (my "HUGE" baby) was 6 lbs 9oz...and DS2 (my "tiny" baby) was bigger than his brother at 7 lbs 1 oz

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

UGHH I hate the c-section due to size BS. Personally I wouldn't believe either, and I would search out a Dr who wouldn't suggestion a major surgery based simply on an inaccurate estimate of size. U/s can be off up to 2 lbs!

alliesaurus
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The weight estimates are so inaccurate and unpredictable and there is no way that just by baby's weight right now they can now what size he will be at birth or WHEN your birth will even occur.  This is not something you need to worry about yet and I would NOT base my delivery type on the estimated size of baby alone. this is a scare tactic in my opinion.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My first they told me would be 8- 8 1/2 lbs. He was 7 lbs 5. My second they said 8 1/2- 9 He was a tiny 6 lbs 5 oz (the u/s was done the day before I delivered him) and my third they said she was an easy 10lber or so. And she was 7 lbs 9 oz. Its all just a bunch of bull in my eyes. ANd I get annoyed at how many women have c-sections due to possible baby's size :(

Quoting Larsbug:

NEVER believe U/S weight... and don't do a c-section because of babies weight and you being small...that's no reason to have one. They told me DS1 would be a big boy around 10+ lbs according to ultrasound and DS2 would be tiny, around 5 lbs according to ultrasound. DS1 (my "HUGE" baby) was 6 lbs 9oz...and DS2 (my "tiny" baby) was bigger than his brother at 7 lbs 1 oz

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't believe either one. 

akrall83
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I would go with maternal fetal health. Their machines are much better. I wouldn't worry about the baby's size right now though, just focus on keeping those blood sugars under control. I know how hard it is. I'm type 1 and was on the super strict diet and testing my blood sugar at least 10 times a day from the moment i found out i was pregnant all 3 times. Don't let them bully you into a c-section either. Take all the info, do your own research, and make informed medical decisions for yourself.
nanasue31204
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Ultrasounds can be off by 2+ lbs either way. I had GD with my last and they thought she would be big but was only 8lbs 1oz. My youngest son was 9lbs 4oz. I didn't have GD with him but they predicted he'd be only around 8lbs, also went completely natural and didn't tear at all and labor and delivery was only 2 hours. My other 2 were 7lbs 13oz and 7lbs 10oz both normal healthy pregnancies but predicted to be bigger so you never know until baby is born. My friend was told her son would be at least 8 lbs if not more, they induced her early he was only a little over 5 lbs and they almost lost him because he wasn't ready yet. My cousin had an 11lb boy vaginally without complications so it can be done. I personally wouldn't agree to a c-section unless in labor on my own and not progressing. Being induced can also slow your labor and make it harder to progress because unless your body is ready it won't work right. I refused to be induced with my youngest until my due date but I ended up in labor that morning on my own and it was so much better than having to deal with pitocin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Neither. Ultrasounds are not a reliable way to measure how big baby is. The scale they put baby on after he's already out.... now that I would trust.

jjchick75
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Neither. They told us the day before my twins were born they were around 4lbs and would need to go to the NICU. They were both around 6.5lbs and perfectly healthy. They told my DIL that her baby was about 10lbs and she was 8lbs 14 ounces. U/S are known for being off with weight guesses. I wouldn't agree to a c-section based on an U/S weight. 

xotatiannaxo
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I had an US and they said my baby would be 7-8 pounds, and he came out 10 1/2 pounds.  so... i dont think you should put so much weight into the US weights.  and deff dont get a section just bc of that... good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured