Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

biracial hair

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

so my child well be biracial an so im just starting my education on hair, i know that her hair could be a variety of textures, that i dont need to wash it much, an that i definitely need different kinds of hair product then im use to 

im prone to natural but open to whatever works

any mamas in here with biracial children, what has been you experience an when do i need to introduce product?

thanks

by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I am going to assume your so/dh is black. My dh is biracial and dd's hair came out really curly. I use curls unleashed you can find it at sallys which is also a online store. on her hair when her hair finally showed which texture  it was going to go. I would also try to look at a few youtube videos. DON'T EVER GIVE HER A RELAXER as a child. I would introduce the products around one because by that time  her texture would have shown which way its going to go . It all depends on your background to 

nicole2884
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

my daughter well be biracial im white he is black, so she wont need like leave in conditioner until one you think , so as far as shampoo an conditioner until then what would you use

we both had curly hair as children mine straightened out an he keeps his really trim so 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I am going to assume your so/dh is black. My dh is biracial and dd's hair came out really curly. I use curls unleashed you can find it at sallys which is also a online store. on her hair when her hair finally showed which texture  it was going to go. I would also try to look at a few youtube videos. DON'T EVER GIVE HER A RELAXER as a child. I would introduce the products around one because by that time  her texture would have shown which way its going to go . It all depends on your background to 

ikeepfaith
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm biracial I'm white black and native use carols daughters cantu and stay away from sulfates and and things with alchohol in the product

Quoting nicole2884:

so my child well be biracial an so im just starting my education on hair, i know that her hair could be a variety of textures, that i dont need to wash it much, an that i definitely need different kinds of hair product then im use to 

im prone to natural but open to whatever works

any mamas in here with biracial children, what has been you experience an when do i need to introduce product?

thanks

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I have been braiding Hubby's and his family member's hair since I was 15. Their hair is EXTREMELY different then my kiddos hair. And my kids hair needs FAR less maintnance! I will try to find some pics of each head of hair :)

My oldest son has the thickest hair. And its rough more like my Hubby's hair. If I were to keep it long and braid it I would use either a grease, or a coconut butter in it to help with moisture. Because we keep it short we use a coconut butter occasionally but its not needed.

Here is a pic of my oldest, its from last summer. He had a mohawk, but you can see its a very rough texture. And it is nappy (very small dry curls, that sit close to the head)

My second son has HUGE soft curls. His hair needs no extra care. I was it every other day as I do mine. And I just brush it afterwards. His also gets kept short, but I let his get longer the we let our oldests son's hair get because its such easier maintnance.

My daughter has the pretties hair. It is VERY curly. And very soft everywhere but the kitchen (What Hubby calls the very back of the neck) She has a rough patch that feels almost like my first sons hair right in the back. We wash her hair about 2 times a week. And we put a moisturizer in it. No grease etc its to fine for it!. Her hair does break especially in the back where its rough, so it helps to use the moisturizer. And we will need to start trimming it about 2-3 times a year to help the growth

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I agree with this as well, don't use anything aside from maybe a baby oil in their hair until age 1. All of my kiddos hair was very similar until age 1. Then there actual texture started to show through. This is normally the case with any infant. The kids in Hubby's family are born with the softest hair. By age one it normally gets coarse and dry. Until then nothing has to be added or done to it other then washing it with a mild baby shampoo

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

nicole2884
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

thank you

so coconut butter has been what works best for you for corse hair, an you daughters hair as well

Quoting NoraDun:

I agree with this as well, don't use anything aside from maybe a baby oil in their hair until age 1. All of my kiddos hair was very similar until age 1. Then there actual texture started to show through. This is normally the case with any infant. The kids in Hubby's family are born with the softest hair. By age one it normally gets coarse and dry. Until then nothing has to be added or done to it other then washing it with a mild baby shampoo

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I dont use the coconut butter in my daughters hair often. Only if I braid it. If its lose the coco butter weighs it down to much. So instead I use a moisturizer hair lotion, anything out of walmart that smells good. Some products smell awful!

Quoting nicole2884:

thank you

so coconut butter has been what works best for you for corse hair, an you daughters hair as well

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

nicole2884
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

i have read good things about carol's daughter black vanilla leave in conditioner , have you tried this

my husbands hair is pretty low maintenance he uses the same shampoo i do an olive oil shine spray thats it

do you use moisturizers geared toward ethnic or Caucasian hair?

Quoting NoraDun:

I dont use the coconut butter in my daughters hair often. Only if I braid it. If its lose the coco butter weighs it down to much. So instead I use a moisturizer hair lotion, anything out of walmart that smells good. Some products smell awful!

Quoting nicole2884:

thank you

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

puertoricangeek
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Both of my baby sisters are mixed, Latin and Nigerian, so they have some hair. What we use is a mixture of Olive oil hair care, motions, and baby oil. Afro puffs are great to keep it more natural. You night not have to wash her hair as often you might have to. That will all depend on the exact texture. She may have more oils, like  you, then like daddy. This is a kinda od touch and see thing. base it off of texture and natural moisture

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)