Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I am 2.5 cm dilated. What does this mean? Should I start getting prepared?! (piog)

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay... I am 35 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I went to L&D this past Sunday because I had bloody discharge and was having contractions off and on. Turned out to be BH contractions and they said I probably lost my plug. But they checked me and said I was barely a finger tip ... so not even 1 cm.

Then TODAY I went for my weekly check up and the doctor said I am 2.5 cm dilated! Isn't that a big change for only a few days? I have never dilated on my own with any of my kids... it never happened until I was actually in the hospital being induced. So I have no idea what to expect now.

I know some people stay dilated for weeks.... but what is more likely? Staying like this for a few weeks or continuing to progress? I have everything I need for the baby but I haven't actually set anything up yet. Should I go ahead and get everything ready?!

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

what's "likely" is hard to know because everyone is so different... honestly if I were you I would be getting your bag packed to have and everything ready for baby to come home...could be tonight, could be 5 weeks from now.

meg4763
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

There is no telling really, but I would get a bag packed just in case. :)

jenbah81
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I agree, being it can go either way and you are almost 36 weeks I would be ready.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

It means your body is preparing for labor and delivery. Could be a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. I would hope its another week or two considering your just over 35 wks. But I like my babies well cooked! I personally would rest up, drink plenty of fluids, and allow your body to do its job. The farther dilated you are before labor begins the less work your body will do during labor to progress, which is always nice :)

CjEmmemommy
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get ready now just in case but it just depends on your body and baby as to how long till labor.

Congratulations though, very exciting.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Yup this

Quoting NoraDun:

It means your body is preparing for labor and delivery. Could be a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. I would hope its another week or two considering your just over 35 wks. But I like my babies well cooked! I personally would rest up, drink plenty of fluids, and allow your body to do its job. The farther dilated you are before labor begins the less work your body will do during labor to progress, which is always nice :)

Mom2five87
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

BUMP!

doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

We are preparing for birth from conception!  ;-)
Our bodies are always preparing, some ways are outwardly measurable (like cervix ripening).
It is possible to stay a few cm dilated for a few months or not be dilated at all and go from 0 to 10 in a half-hour.   So what wi
ll happen isn't possible to say, but it is worth being ready anyhow.

Most women never have their cervix checked at all   It is unnecessary and adds risks so worth factoring in, too.

GL!

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,
So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

Mommy2Be9112010
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

This

Quoting NoraDun:

brittany208
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

What everyone else said. no way of knowing when you'll go into labor until you are in labor, but you are far enough along to get your bags packed and everything ready to go. you might want to take it easy for the next couple weeks, just to help make sure baby doesnt come before he/she is ready

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)