Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Colposcopy

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone had a colposcopy done? My pap came back abnormal and the doctor wants me to have one. She says its safe during pregnancy, but no matter the outcome there won't be any treatment since I'm pregnant. I'm really unsure about having it done.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy_Mom_of_5
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Just had one 2 weeks ago....no big deal...don't stress about it, i did and it was nothing major.  My doc said that it more than likely go away on its own after baby is born but they wont do any treatment until after they do another pap after baby is born and if it comes back abnormal again...

mom_to_kenzie
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep..no big deal..my doc had me wait and see if everything healed normally (total pregnancy brain, do I don't know if healed is spelled right today Lol) with the delivery. My pap after delivery came back normal.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Not here, but here is a bump

Mariah-1987
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I had 1 after I had my first almost 6 yrs ago. I didn't think it was safe during pregnancy because they scrape you cervix. My doc waited til after cause it can just go away on a whim. I ended up with a cryo treatment after and I still had abnormal paps every 6 months. I went to a diffrent office for my annual 3 yrs after this all started and it was just gone. Haven't had any problems since.
Britty1987
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I thought they just put vinegar water on your cervix and looked at it through a microscope? Were you born in 87 too?

Quoting Mariah-1987:

I had 1 after I had my first almost 6 yrs ago. I didn't think it was safe during pregnancy because they scrape you cervix. My doc waited til after cause it can just go away on a whim. I ended up with a cryo treatment after and I still had abnormal paps every 6 months. I went to a diffrent office for my annual 3 yrs after this all started and it was just gone. Haven't had any problems since.

Mariah-1987
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Yep 87. With mine they took a sample of the left and right side of my cervix and then took a wire brush looking thing and wiggled it around inside of it. I bled and cramped for a day. This was almost 6 yrs ago so maybe they do it differently now?

Quoting Britty1987:

I thought they just put vinegar water on your cervix and looked at it through a microscope? Were you born in 87 too?

Quoting Mariah-1987:

Britty1987
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Oh gee, I hope so!

Quoting Mariah-1987:

Yep 87. With mine they took a sample of the left and right side of my cervix and then took a wire brush looking thing and wiggled it around inside of it. I bled and cramped for a day. This was almost 6 yrs ago so maybe they do it differently now?

Quoting Britty1987:

Quoting Mariah-1987:

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I'm glad I saw this post because I was supposed to have a colposcopy on Wednesday of next week.
I started googeling it and women started saying that it presents the risk of miscarriage and theres no way in hell I'm going to risk my unborn child's life, for a procedure that likely isn't even necessary anyhow.

I have a regular appointment with my doctor on Monday and will be telling him that I refuse the procedure until after I have the baby.

Britty1987
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Really? All I can find is that a biopsy would increase chances of miscarriage, but I'm not having a biopsy

Quoting LuvMyBoys09:

I'm glad I saw this post because I was supposed to have a colposcopy on Wednesday of next week.
I started googeling it and women started saying that it presents the risk of miscarriage and theres no way in hell I'm going to risk my unborn child's life, for a procedure that likely isn't even necessary anyhow.

I have a regular appointment with my doctor on Monday and will be telling him that I refuse the procedure until after I have the baby.

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
You're right....I'm sorry.
I guess I'll let them do the colposcopy buy no biopsy.

Quoting Britty1987:

Really? All I can find is that a biopsy would increase chances of miscarriage, but I'm not having a biopsy

Quoting LuvMyBoys09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)