Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Are you serious? vent *update*

Posted by   + Show Post
So the wic office told me I am only allowed to gain 15 pounds during this pregnancy due to the fact that I'm overweight. Now my so is coming down on me hard about my weight.. I've cut out sodas, started drinking more water, eating healthier then what I normally do and trying not to eat that many things high in sugar and fat. I've latterly ate a small bowl of honey oats for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and 7 bites of my mom's dinner because it was loaded in fat and a apple for a snack... I'm so hungry I'm going to be sick and my so won't let me eat... my so has very low body weight and my son does too ( he's in the 20% ) so if I starve myself like everyone is asking me to do my poor baby is really going to be small. I was told I'm only allowed to eat 3 small meals a day and my portions have to fit in the palm of my hand. This is crazy!!! I get eating healthy but Damn I'm going hungry trying to do what I'm told.

Ok so I saw my doctor to get my referral today for my midwife and she said 20-30 pounds is good and as long as I'm eating right and doing light exercises then I'll be just fine. My so apologized for being so harsh and agreed to help motivate me to workout and help keep me on track to eating as healthy as possible... he even said he'll start feeding me 6 times a day :) hopefully soon I get my appt to hear the babies heart beat for the first time... I'm so excited and nervous. I just wish I knew already what it is that I'm having... I have a there though. With my girls I had energy and I wasn't as moody but with my son I was so tired I couldn't even get out of bed and I was a real bi*** so far I've had energy and not that moody so I'm thinking a girl... lets see if my theory is right but I'm praying for another boy.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
threat
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I too agree with all you ladies... I have an appt today and I'm having my so hear what the doctor has to say. Maybe then he'll be a little more understanding.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting miasmommy21407:

Um...not okay. It's one thing to recommend a certain weight gain....most doctors do it. There's evidence on both sides of the spectrum but to be so strict about it is not a good idea. All that's going to lead to IMO is a low birth weight baby. You need to listen to your body's cues. You said you feel like you're really hungry...then EAT something. There is a difference between eating when your body says to and eating to be eating. There are so many factors that go into how much a woman needs to gain. Some studies have even shown that race, age, prior gaining history, etc all play into what is normal for each woman. There are doctor's working hard to get the current recommendations changed to better meet the needs of the individual woman. 

As long as your are eating healthy and staying active then you don't need to put that much stress on yourself. WHAT you are eating and the QUALITY of the food you put into your mouth is far more important that the AMOUNT. 

Seriously though...if you are hungry, PLEASE, go eat something. Have a banana and some cereal with low fat milk or an ounce of cheese with an apple or a wheat tortilla with a bit of cheese. Listen to YOUR body and speak with your midwife or doctor about what is right for YOU. 

I agree here, completely.

I also feel that high stress during pregnancy isn't healthy either.

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Don't listen to WIC....they're nothing but a bunch if wanna be doctors.
Listen to your doctor and if WIC has an issue with your weight gain, tell them to take it up with your doctor.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

It's possible. It's also possible that he's just a jerk. 

*giggles* Eiether way, let me know what happens at the dr appt, when you get home and have time to update us. I really hope for both of your sakes that he can at least understand. That eating isn't only for you right now. It's also for your baby.

You can lose all the weight you want after having baby. If you breastfeed it will be easier to lose said weight. :) Among doing a lot of other things for you and your baby that are all good.

The thing right now, is that you have to concentrate on your baby. 

Eat healthier, yes. Starve yourself? HELL NO.

Quoting threat:

I too agree with all you ladies... I have an appt today and I'm having my so hear what the doctor has to say. Maybe then he'll be a little more understanding.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting miasmommy21407:

Um...not okay. It's one thing to recommend a certain weight gain....most doctors do it. There's evidence on both sides of the spectrum but to be so strict about it is not a good idea. All that's going to lead to IMO is a low birth weight baby. You need to listen to your body's cues. You said you feel like you're really hungry...then EAT something. There is a difference between eating when your body says to and eating to be eating. There are so many factors that go into how much a woman needs to gain. Some studies have even shown that race, age, prior gaining history, etc all play into what is normal for each woman. There are doctor's working hard to get the current recommendations changed to better meet the needs of the individual woman. 

As long as your are eating healthy and staying active then you don't need to put that much stress on yourself. WHAT you are eating and the QUALITY of the food you put into your mouth is far more important that the AMOUNT. 

Seriously though...if you are hungry, PLEASE, go eat something. Have a banana and some cereal with low fat milk or an ounce of cheese with an apple or a wheat tortilla with a bit of cheese. Listen to YOUR body and speak with your midwife or doctor about what is right for YOU. 

CafeMom Tickers
WishingAway
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Be careful listening to wic.. you need to talk to your dr.. if your feeling sick I would be eating. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full I chose healthy things.. that is the best you can do for your child. They are being rude.. and your not fat!!

threat
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Thank you :) I will give you an update that this afternoon

Quoting Basherte:

It's possible. It's also possible that he's just a jerk. 

*giggles* Eiether way, let me know what happens at the dr appt, when you get home and have time to update us. I really hope for both of your sakes that he can at least understand. That eating isn't only for you right now. It's also for your baby.

You can lose all the weight you want after having baby. If you breastfeed it will be easier to lose said weight. :) Among doing a lot of other things for you and your baby that are all good.

The thing right now, is that you have to concentrate on your baby. 

Eat healthier, yes. Starve yourself? HELL NO.

Quoting threat:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting miasmommy21407:

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Ummm, you need to tell everyone to F off because starving YOU is starving the baby and that is NOT good for EITHER of you! You need to eat 6 small meals (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) every few (3-4)hrs, healthy meals, to keep your weight good. Starving yourself isn't going to do anyone any good. Stop letting him do that to you!

threat
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Your right. I hate when people tell me what I'm doing wrong when their not me and they don't know. The wic is never around me and my so is only around for dinner... I think he thinks if I eat less it'll help but it's just eating right is what'll matter.

Quoting Devious103102:

Ummm, you need to tell everyone to F off because starving YOU is starving the baby and that is NOT good for EITHER of you! You need to eat 6 small meals (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) every few (3-4)hrs, healthy meals, to keep your weight good. Starving yourself isn't going to do anyone any good. Stop letting him do that to you!

WannaBeMom2013
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I'm the same height as you and i way more! That's ridiculous.I'm sorry hun

Quoting threat:

They are being redicioulus... I'm 163 and 5'6 and I'm already sensitive about my weight since this is the most I ever weighed and with the hormones I just feel their being a little insensitive.

Quoting Ashtonsmommy21:

I'm really overweight and the nurse said up to forty pounds is normal even though I know I shouldn't gain that much since I'm already overweight.  

ERMDK
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM
5'6" and 163 is not seriously overweight. I started this pregnancy (my 3rd) about 50 lbs. overweight, and I was determined to gain no more than 25 lbs. Well, now I'm 33 weeks along, and I've gained 30 lbs. Oops, but my midwives are not at all concerned. They tell me at every appointment not to worry about it! Seriously. Follow your ob/midwife's recommendations for being healthy.
elly.H
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM
WIC is full of crap they were so horrible to me, you can eat as much boiled chicken and veggies as you want. AS MUCH AS YOU WANT
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)