Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question About Gestational Diabetes Test???

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

Today I have an appointment at 5:45 for the gestational diabetes test. I am nervous about failing it because with this pregnancy I have been eating candy and sweets every day, sometimes even a few times a day. I was told that it doesn't matter how much or how little sugar you eat, it's how your body processes it but still, I'm nervous! Anyway, my question really is how many of you were told to fast and how many were not. I have heard of both but I'm really confused because with my first son I had the blood work done on a Saturday morning and my Dr told me to fast, this time (same Dr) its tonight at 5:45 and she told me I don't have to fast but if I were to fail this one then I will. I'm thinking she may be saying I don't have to cuz she doesn't want me going all day without eating but for those of you that didn't fast, did you at least NOT eat for a  few hours before the test or not eat any sugary foods all day?? And did that help your results at all??

by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg4763
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

With my son, I think my appt was maybe 9-10 am and was told not to eat after midnight the night before. When I got there they drew my blood, I drank the glucola, and they checked my blood again an hour later. I ate very poorly that pregnancy, including sweets galore!!,  but I passed the 1hr test. 

This pregnancy with a different ob, I was told to drink the glucola on the way to the office and they drew my blood an hour after I had finished it.  I did not have to fast the night before and they didn't draw my blood before I drank it.  They said they would call if the results were abnormal, and not call if it was normal, and they never called. This was on Monday. 

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Well thats good, if they didnt call by now youre probably fine! I have to drink it on the way there too, she said to finish about 30 mins before my appt, which is what she did last time too. I dont think its supposed to matter what you eat but I'm afraid of failing and being banned from sugar the rest of the pregnancy or if I did have GD that the baby will be diabetic. That is probably just me creating things to worry about befroe the test, which i do alot, especially during pregnancy!

Quoting meg4763:

With my son, I think my appt was maybe 9-10 am and was told not to eat after midnight the night before. When I got there they drew my blood, I drank the glucola, and they checked my blood again an hour later. I ate very poorly that pregnancy, including sweets galore!!,  but I passed the 1hr test. 

This pregnancy with a different ob, I was told to drink the glucola on the way to the office and they drew my blood an hour after I had finished it.  I did not have to fast the night before and they didn't draw my blood before I drank it.  They said they would call if the results were abnormal, and not call if it was normal, and they never called. This was on Monday. 

mrspreggers14
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I didnt have to fast but I couldnt eat two hrs before. I juat did mine yesterday. Gl!
meg4763
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I was worried the first time too since I ate sweet stuff and carbs a ton! Try not to worry to much though. Even if you did have it, I believe once you have the baby it all evens out and neither of you have it anymore.

Quoting MichaelsMom0711:

Well thats good, if they didnt call by now youre probably fine! I have to drink it on the way there too, she said to finish about 30 mins before my appt, which is what she did last time too. I dont think its supposed to matter what you eat but I'm afraid of failing and being banned from sugar the rest of the pregnancy or if I did have GD that the baby will be diabetic. That is probably just me creating things to worry about befroe the test, which i do alot, especially during pregnancy!

Quoting meg4763:

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yea, that is a good idea, I was thinking of doing this too since the appt is 5:45 maybe not eat after 3:00 or something, and thanks!

Quoting mrspreggers14:

I didnt have to fast but I couldnt eat two hrs before. I juat did mine yesterday. Gl!

MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I was just told to eat normal but not to have anything like candy before hand.

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Yea that is going to be the hard part! lol, but I hope i can manage for less than ONE day!! Its already getting to me but too bad I guess!  I will be stopping for a milk shake or a decaf frappuccino on the way home from the Dr tonight!!

Quoting MMerrill:

I was just told to eat normal but not to have anything like candy before hand.

Emilytrademark
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

lol your sugar intake won't affect it at all :) I didn't have to fast with my 1st pregnancy, but they told me to fast with this pregnancy. Different providers. The fasting test was horrible! I was shaky, bad headache, nauseous... and just felt sick for half a day. And, I don't have diabetes or any risk factors for it. So if I ever get pregnant again, I am definitely not submitting to the test!

BabyFruit Ticker
butterbean491
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I was told to eat, but nothing super sugary or with a lot of carbs. Then nothing at all at least an hour before drinking glucose mix for test. With my 1st preg, I had to go back and do a 3hr test. I did have to fast from midnight till the next morning for that appt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured