Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Please don't touch my belly... Update

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Update Page 2

It's still early in my pregnancy and I am not showing yet... but we will be telling my in-laws and parents the good news soon and I am worried that everyone will trying to touch my belly without my permission. I would be fine if they ask first, but I feel like they will think it's a free for all and I am uncomfortable with that. The person I am worried about the most is my fil. He is a really sweet man and I am close to him and comfortable around him, but I feel like he will always try to touch me without asking. The reason I think this is because on the night of our wedding (almost two years ago) we went meet everyone at the after-party (the reception ended at 6pm and we went to meet everyone around 9pm) after stoping by the hotel first, wink, wink. When he saw me at the after-party, he rubbed my belly and said "Is there a baby in there yet?" SUPER AWKWARD! Especially since he knew we wern't trying because I was finishing up grad school... Bless his heart he can't wait to be a gpaw and he will probably be the most excited out of all our family. We are telling his parents Sunday on Mother's Day and I just don't want another uncomfortable situation like this to happen. I don't want to be a bitch about it, but I want to think of something nice to say to everyone that I don't mind you rubbing my belly, but lets just wait til the baby starts kicking and you ask my permission first...

Pregnancy Ticker

by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Yes just be nice and say. I would like you to ask me before you touch my belly. I am not comfortable with you doing it without asking. There is nothing wrong about it. They would understand.

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I feel ya!  I'm 13 weeks 3 days and already starting to show.
I don't have a problem with family touching my belly but strangers can be a little too friendly and it's a little offensive to me.
Strangers really loved to touch my belly when I was pregnant with my twins and it usually happened in elevators....like they were cornering me or something.

I work at a nursing home and when the old folks find out that you're having a baby, they really like to touch the belly and for the most part, I'm fine with it but there's a few instances when you need to remind them that they need to ask before they just start touching....a lot of times, it's like dealing with toddlers.

acb4415
by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I might just wait it out and see what he does, I think I am just being sensitive because my stomach has been upset the last few days and I feel really bloated, so just thinking about someone other than my husband touching me is not so appealing... It's funny that I feel so uncomfortable with fil possibly touching my 1st trimester stomach, when I would love to have him in the delivery room with my husband and I. My fil is an emergency room physician and has delivered two of his own children, so it would comfort me to have him there (but my husband is not for this idea, it freaks him out a little)

brittany208
by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

you could get one of those t-shirts that say "if you didnt put it in there, you dont get to touch" or something like that

forsakenjewl24
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM

i'm almost 13 just starting to get rid of the bloat and starting to show a bit. and i dont mind close friends and family but random people it's like omg

my SO is always touching my belly more then before i was pregnant. i dont mind it. it relaxes me some days lol

pregnancy

babies
Mommy2beQua
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
People do that to me all the time without permission and randomly, I hate it. I tell ppl all the time that don't like being touch
AScaredMomma
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I live in a small town and go to church with primarily grandparent aged people and am constantly being touched. My dh dislikes it as much as I do but so far I have yet to find a way to avoid it without sounding like a complete bitch
acb4415
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Thank's y'all I think I will just wait to see what happens and if anyone touches without asking, I will just politely say "Next time can you please ask before touching my belly, I have not been feeling good all day," I will update to let y'all know what happens... I am so excited to see how they react, his family is going to be super excited!!!

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on May. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Yea I totally understand ur point..I mean its like ppl just assume they can rub all over ur belly..They should ask before they go touching..And if not just tell them in a nice wya that u would feel more comfortable if they asked you first..:)

CafeMom Tickers
JamieMN
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

No one touched my belly during my first four months because whenever anyone tried to touch me I'd run to the bathroom to throw up. I was so so sick....I think you can make it clear you don't want to be touched without even saying it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)