Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

UGG Wic!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

So i had my wic intake appointment today. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have been regularly seeing my OBGYN throughout this pregnancy. One of the main concerns for both my dr and myself is my weight. I had a significant weight gain with my daughter and havent really gotten myself back into my ideal weight. I am at a high risk already for gestational diabetes. My doctor has given my a really great meal and activity plan.i have been being very careful to follow it and maintain a really good activitly level this time around. Because of this i have managed to not gain weight.

So anyway at wic today while discussing how much weight i have gained during pregnancy they told me that needed to be gaining at least 1lb a week. I explained that my doctor had me on a very regulated diet and that she was monitoring my weight and was very happy with the way i was progressing. They actually had the nerve to argue with me about it. They even brought in one of their "nutritionists" to try and tell me where i should be at. They tried to imply that i was hurting my baby because i wasnt gaining weight.

So i guess my question to you is should i be gaining 1lb a week even if i already am overweight to begin with? Is it really me "hurting my baby" ?  I wish i had been healthier from the start of my pregnancy but that just wasnt the way the chips fell. i am trying to make up for it now by not putting my baby or myself at any further risks and being much more diligent about eating healthier and excercising at least 5 times a week.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awelch
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM
That's what I hate about organizations like WIC. They shove everyone in one category. Listen to your doctor. Your baby will be fine as long as you are eating healthy. A typical pregnancy gains about a pound a week, but when you are overweight they look for less. I had the same issue with #3 and he is perfect.
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My first pregnancy i gained 50 lbs. My second i lost 5 lbs at the beginning and gained a total of 10 from pre pregnancy weight by the end.

I had wic my first pregnancy and they were the only ones who every had an issue with my weight. I was overweight at the beginning of my first and had only lost 12 lbs from my heaviest when i got pregnant with my second. I had no gd either pregnancy and my babies were 9.5 lbs and 8.5 lbs.
DeNali21
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I would listen to your ob if you like them..wic isn't always best...I am over weight also...I heavent gain much and my baby is growing fine and I'm messuring perfect.
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Go with what your dr says i have had my issues with them in the past and if it wasn't for dh making the appt I would have never went back this go around
kblpooh
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I would go with your Dr's recommendations. I would also tell your Dr about your experience at WIC and see if he/she can consult with them or write a letter to them about your special diet etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Listen to your Dr. wic is stupid with some ththings.
tinka_pixie
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM

UGG I hate WIC too. they told me not to gain weight with my first, and I gained 24lbs, and they were always having a talk with me even though my dr was fine with it. Now with this one, I've lost 35 lbs and that is a risk so I hve to go in for my apt with them every 4 weeks. they just drive me nuts.

Racheldp20
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, I hate both sides of this argument. It really bugs me how neurotic people get about weight gain or lack thereof during pregnancy. So long as you're trying to stay healthy - and a meal/activity plan from your ob sounds pretty healthy to me - then who the heck cares if you gain weight or not! It's just a NUMBER people, everyone's body handles life and pregnancy differently. I think you're doing great, just brush it off. Also, exercise and healthy eating has been proven to lead to healthier pregnancy and babies.

villagemamma
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

That's actually a really good i dead

Quoting kblpooh:

I would go with your Dr's recommendations. I would also tell your Dr about your experience at WIC and see if he/she can consult with them or write a letter to them about your special diet etc.

CafeMom Tickers
SOCO101
by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Wic is notorious for this kind of thing. I had a Wic appt one day after my ob appointment last month. The ob checked me for anemia, said I was fine. The next day Wic said I needed to be put on iron, because I was anemic. I had to talk to the nutritionist because of it and was told to take an iron supplement along with my prenatals...I didn't pay them much mind, but did bring it up again at my ob appt Monday ( I might have been more concerned, but I haven't had any symptoms of anemia like I did with dd). He checked me again and once again said I was fine...the point I'm trying to make is, Wic is not always qualified to give you the best and most current advice. They are a state ran program, that I'm thankful for, but take everything with a grain of salt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN