Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

cervix question

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 12 Replies
So I'm about 4.5 weeks pregnant and I've been having period like cramps that only last a minute or so, these past few days. It wasn't bad yesterday but tonight I had a back ache cramp like I do sometimes with my period which also didnt last long at all. I've also been checking my cervix every now and then in the shower and for the few times it's been closed. tonight however, it was slightly more open than usual.. Is this a bad sign? Is it natural for the cervix to go through stages this early? Or iS this a bad .thanks so much ladies!
by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WannaBeMom2013
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Bump!
Momof5kids84
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
It's normal to have cramps. It's your uterus stretching out and making room for baby. I'm not sure on the cervix thing as I don't check mine.
WannaBeMom2013
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Bump!
5tyli5hLensT
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Cramps are normal,, cervix I don't check mine but just take it easy and enjoy your first trimester
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My cervix is open from the outside. About 2 cm. I noticed it when I checked the first time about 2 wks ago. Everything I read said it can happen and isn't as concerning as funnelling is from the inside out. I go for an u/s on Thursday and am going to ask to have my cervical length checked just to be sure the length is good. But I experienced the same with my last pregnancy and didn't deliver until 38 wks. (And I had far more contractions at this point in pregnancy last time then I do now!) So I think its nothing to worry about. FYI don't check your cervix often as it can lead to premature dilation if your not careful. And checking your cervix during pregnancy can cause cramping too!

WannaBeMom2013
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
This is the kind of answer I've been waiting for!! Thank you so much! I'm trying to not to freak but it's just so nerve racking. I'm terribly afraid of miscarriage. Thank you so much though :)

Quoting NoraDun:

My cervix is open from the outside. About 2 cm. I noticed it when I checked the first time about 2 wks ago. Everything I read said it can happen and isn't as concerning as funnelling is from the inside out. I go for an u/s on Thursday and am going to ask to have my cervical length checked just to be sure the length is good. But I experienced the same with my last pregnancy and didn't deliver until 38 wks. (And I had far more contractions at this point in pregnancy last time then I do now!) So I think its nothing to worry about. FYI don't check your cervix often as it can lead to premature dilation if your not careful. And checking your cervix during pregnancy can cause cramping too!

JennyLee24
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Im trying to figure out..how u check ur own cervix?? I thought it would be way too high to reach. Hope everything is ok with u tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MochaBerry24
by on May. 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM

i had cramps like that in early pregnancy and I'm 7 months today with a healthy baby boy! 

leew8372
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I had cramping at 4 weeks, Dr. said it was normal. If there is no blood you are fine, what you're feeling is your ligaments stretching... and yes, you can feel it at 4 weeks. I'm 5 weeks 1 day today and I didn't have cramps for a few days but yesterday they came back, still some today.

leew8372
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

The cervix is just a few inches up the vagina... my middle finger can reach it just fine.

Quoting JennyLee24:

Im trying to figure out..how u check ur own cervix?? I thought it would be way too high to reach. Hope everything is ok with u tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN