Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Cloth diaper's worth it?

DH and I are thinking of cloth diper's this time around and we would like to hear from mommy's that have used them and the throw away kind and ask if cloth diaper's are worth it. If so where can we find some we would like to stock up now

ttc

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
SaraSnider
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM
i tried with my 2nd, hated washing them so quit. i had 2 under 2 and just was tooo tired to to keep up. idk if its just my baby but the pee smelled worse in them even when he just peed
ERMDK
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I love cloth! We have some Kawaii and they are good for the price. We have mostly SmartiPants. I bought most from diaperjunction.com. My oldest 2 are twins, so first we had 2 in cloth, then #3 was born 19 months later so we had 3 in cloth for almost a year. I did a load of diapers every other day, or 2 loads every 3 days. Now the twins are 3 and (mostly) potty trained, and I guess I do 2 loads of diapers per week? However, #4 will be here next month... the up side is, I'm not buying any more diapers - ever! I guess I spent about $550 in diapers, total, for 4 kids. Probably will have saved $7000+!!!! Totally worth it.
3kidz123
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Smartipants are ok but I find they are really pricy if you get them on their site and they don't work as well as some of the cheaper brands.

Hey you have Kawaii's, are they kinda big? Like will they fit my newborn?

I haven't gotten mine yet but I only have 4 tiny ones and my hubby doesn't want to buy more but I heard Kawaii's wont fit a newborn. 

Quoting ERMDK:

I love cloth! We have some Kawaii and they are good for the price. We have mostly SmartiPants. I bought most from diaperjunction.com. My oldest 2 are twins, so first we had 2 in cloth, then #3 was born 19 months later so we had 3 in cloth for almost a year. I did a load of diapers every other day, or 2 loads every 3 days. Now the twins are 3 and (mostly) potty trained, and I guess I do 2 loads of diapers per week? However, #4 will be here next month... the up side is, I'm not buying any more diapers - ever! I guess I spent about $550 in diapers, total, for 4 kids. Probably will have saved $7000+!!!! Totally worth it.

brittany208
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I am planning on cloth diapering this baby and I'm really excited about it! Join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group on here. They have a sticky FAQ that will get you started on what you need to know. And then ask any questions--the moms on there know EVERYTHING about cloth diapering and are super friendly.

I bought all of mine online through cottonbabies (free shipping--yay!), ebay, one from a WAHM on the CWCB group on here, one from etsy... I have seen them at target, but getting them online is the same price for better quality diapers.

And about the price thing--there is a HUGE range of prices in diapers. WAHM ones can be the most expensive, but from what I have heard, everyone LOVES them and they are much better quality. But you can also get cheap Alva pocket diapers for a few dollars (or less). And even though you spend more upfront, you end up spending less in the long run. (there is a great breakdown of costs in the FAQ sticky, mentioned above). I bought a little bit of a bunch of different kinds so I could see what I like before I buy a bunch of one thing.

and laundry--how hard is it to dump diapers in the wash, flip them, and then put them away? takes about a min to carry them to the washer, a min to flip them, a couple to put them away? don't know why people are so hung up on laundry?

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I would reccomend joining the Cuties With Cloth Booties group here on cafemom. I would also look for a cloth diaper store nearest to you and inquire about a Cloth Diapering 101 class. 

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I bought 1 alvababy diaper a few weeks ago and I love it!  I just ordered 4 more yesterday.  I have mostly bumgenius 1 size pockets and the alvababy diaper works just as well as any of those for 1/3 the price. Also the alvababy fits my 12lb 1 month old and my 27lb 2 year old just like the bum genius.

I was spending roughly $40/month on disposables for 1 kid.  Now I have 2 under 2.  I have spent roughly $325 on cloth so far.  I have enough for my toddler to wash every 3 days.  I only have 10 diapers for my 1 month old but I have 4 on the way.  I still need a bunch for her.  I started using cloth in January and by the end of June I will break even. After that I will officially be saving $80/month.

Quoting brittany208:

I am planning on cloth diapering this baby and I'm really excited about it! Join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group on here. They have a sticky FAQ that will get you started on what you need to know. And then ask any questions--the moms on there know EVERYTHING about cloth diapering and are super friendly.

I bought all of mine online through cottonbabies (free shipping--yay!), ebay, one from a WAHM on the CWCB group on here, one from etsy... I have seen them at target, but getting them online is the same price for better quality diapers.

And about the price thing--there is a HUGE range of prices in diapers. WAHM ones can be the most expensive, but from what I have heard, everyone LOVES them and they are much better quality. But you can also get cheap Alva pocket diapers for a few dollars (or less). And even though you spend more upfront, you end up spending less in the long run. (there is a great breakdown of costs in the FAQ sticky, mentioned above). I bought a little bit of a bunch of different kinds so I could see what I like before I buy a bunch of one thing.

and laundry--how hard is it to dump diapers in the wash, flip them, and then put them away? takes about a min to carry them to the washer, a min to flip them, a couple to put them away? don't know why people are so hung up on laundry?

rfhsure
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

So worth it. I love it, and so did my sons butt!

brittany208
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM

i dont know how much I'll save. I bought walmart brand diapers, so my before amount wasnt as insane as someone who bought pampers, for example.

does that 325 just include diapers, or all cloth diapering accessories? I've spent 210 so far and probably dont quite have enough for 2 days for a newborn.... I will still end up saving money over disposibles for sure, I just feel like--wow! I've already spent that much and dont have enough to show for it!

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I bought 1 alvababy diaper a few weeks ago and I love it!  I just ordered 4 more yesterday.  I have mostly bumgenius 1 size pockets and the alvababy diaper works just as well as any of those for 1/3 the price. Also the alvababy fits my 12lb 1 month old and my 27lb 2 year old just like the bum genius.

I was spending roughly $40/month on disposables for 1 kid.  Now I have 2 under 2.  I have spent roughly $325 on cloth so far.  I have enough for my toddler to wash every 3 days.  I only have 10 diapers for my 1 month old but I have 4 on the way.  I still need a bunch for her.  I started using cloth in January and by the end of June I will break even. After that I will officially be saving $80/month.

Quoting brittany208:

brittany208
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Speaking of a 101 class.... this girl has a cloth diaper vlog on youtube that is really, really informative and easy to understand. this is a "reasons to cloth diaper" video, but I would check out her other videos too. super helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=O_Xs6hbBF8M

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I would reccomend joining the Cuties With Cloth Booties group here on cafemom. I would also look for a cloth diaper store nearest to you and inquire about a Cloth Diapering 101 class. 

xredstarsx
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

We love cloth here. We save a lot but my main reason is to not have chemicals against my sons skin constantly for 2-3 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)