Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth diaper's worth it?

DH and I are thinking of cloth diper's this time around and we would like to hear from mommy's that have used them and the throw away kind and ask if cloth diaper's are worth it. If so where can we find some we would like to stock up now

ttc

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I have 17 bum genius pockets (4 bought new the rest used) I paid like $90 for the 4 new the used ones I only paid $10 each on here.

3 happy heinys pockets (bought new but on a discount site)

2 flip covers (bought new, but on sale)

10 gerber prefolds and 3 of the smaller prefolds( the 10 I bought the 3 were a baby shower gift from my first)

2 packs of plastic pants

3 snappis

5 Alvababy pockets(I only have 1 currently but I just ordered 4)

a small wetbag 

And I think that is it.  

I also bought a pack of cloth wipes before I realized I could easily make my own and befor eI had a sewing machine.

so thats for everything so far.  i didn't buy any newborn because ds was 9.5lbs at birth. dd wound up being 8.5, but now at 12lbs she fits my one size. I really need better inserts now

Quoting brittany208:

i dont know how much I'll save. I bought walmart brand diapers, so my before amount wasnt as insane as someone who bought pampers, for example.

does that 325 just include diapers, or all cloth diapering accessories? I've spent 210 so far and probably dont quite have enough for 2 days for a newborn.... I will still end up saving money over disposibles for sure, I just feel like--wow! I've already spent that much and dont have enough to show for it!

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I bought 1 alvababy diaper a few weeks ago and I love it!  I just ordered 4 more yesterday.  I have mostly bumgenius 1 size pockets and the alvababy diaper works just as well as any of those for 1/3 the price. Also the alvababy fits my 12lb 1 month old and my 27lb 2 year old just like the bum genius.

I was spending roughly $40/month on disposables for 1 kid.  Now I have 2 under 2.  I have spent roughly $325 on cloth so far.  I have enough for my toddler to wash every 3 days.  I only have 10 diapers for my 1 month old but I have 4 on the way.  I still need a bunch for her.  I started using cloth in January and by the end of June I will break even. After that I will officially be saving $80/month.

Quoting brittany208:

I am planning on cloth diapering this baby and I'm really excited about it! Join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group on here. They have a sticky FAQ that will get you started on what you need to know. And then ask any questions--the moms on there know EVERYTHING about cloth diapering and are super friendly.

I bought all of mine online through cottonbabies (free shipping--yay!), ebay, one from a WAHM on the CWCB group on here, one from etsy... I have seen them at target, but getting them online is the same price for better quality diapers.

And about the price thing--there is a HUGE range of prices in diapers. WAHM ones can be the most expensive, but from what I have heard, everyone LOVES them and they are much better quality. But you can also get cheap Alva pocket diapers for a few dollars (or less). And even though you spend more upfront, you end up spending less in the long run. (there is a great breakdown of costs in the FAQ sticky, mentioned above). I bought a little bit of a bunch of different kinds so I could see what I like before I buy a bunch of one thing.

and laundry--how hard is it to dump diapers in the wash, flip them, and then put them away? takes about a min to carry them to the washer, a min to flip them, a couple to put them away? don't know why people are so hung up on laundry?

brittany208
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

thanks for the breakdown--i like comparing what i have to other people's stashes.

I guess I didn't really buy newborn diapers either. i was looking for small diapers (something that would start around 8lbs or so, since I plan on having a bigger baby too) and ended up getting some small, some one-size. so far I have:

12 new GMD prefolds, size small = 35$ (this includes shipping)

2 bummis covers = 15 used on Ebay

2 kissaluv fitteds = 26 on cottonbabies

1 AI2 squishy bean tester = 12 CWCB WAHM FSOT

2 alvas = 10 on Ebay

2 bumgenius 4.0 seconds = 22

1 fuzzibunz = 16.95

1 tie dye AI2 = 30 etsy (super expensive, but hoping DH will think its cool and get on board with CDing)

other:

detergent: 9; lg pail liner: 7.50; small wetbag: 7.5; snappis: 7.50, CJs Butter: 11.50

i haven't done wipes yet, bc I got a TON of wipes for super cheap months ago with couponing. When they run out, I'll either make them or use baby wash cloths.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I have 17 bum genius pockets (4 bought new the rest used) I paid like $90 for the 4 new the used ones I only paid $10 each on here.

3 happy heinys pockets (bought new but on a discount site)

2 flip covers (bought new, but on sale)

10 gerber prefolds and 3 of the smaller prefolds( the 10 I bought the 3 were a baby shower gift from my first)

2 packs of plastic pants

3 snappis

5 Alvababy pockets(I only have 1 currently but I just ordered 4)

a small wetbag 

And I think that is it.  

I also bought a pack of cloth wipes before I realized I could easily make my own and befor eI had a sewing machine.

so thats for everything so far.  i didn't buy any newborn because ds was 9.5lbs at birth. dd wound up being 8.5, but now at 12lbs she fits my one size. I really need better inserts now

Quoting brittany208:

i dont know how much I'll save. I bought walmart brand diapers, so my before amount wasnt as insane as someone who bought pampers, for example.

does that 325 just include diapers, or all cloth diapering accessories? I've spent 210 so far and probably dont quite have enough for 2 days for a newborn.... I will still end up saving money over disposibles for sure, I just feel like--wow! I've already spent that much and dont have enough to show for it!

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I bought 1 alvababy diaper a few weeks ago and I love it!  I just ordered 4 more yesterday.  I have mostly bumgenius 1 size pockets and the alvababy diaper works just as well as any of those for 1/3 the price. Also the alvababy fits my 12lb 1 month old and my 27lb 2 year old just like the bum genius.

I was spending roughly $40/month on disposables for 1 kid.  Now I have 2 under 2.  I have spent roughly $325 on cloth so far.  I have enough for my toddler to wash every 3 days.  I only have 10 diapers for my 1 month old but I have 4 on the way.  I still need a bunch for her.  I started using cloth in January and by the end of June I will break even. After that I will officially be saving $80/month.

Quoting brittany208:

I am planning on cloth diapering this baby and I'm really excited about it! Join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group on here. They have a sticky FAQ that will get you started on what you need to know. And then ask any questions--the moms on there know EVERYTHING about cloth diapering and are super friendly.

I bought all of mine online through cottonbabies (free shipping--yay!), ebay, one from a WAHM on the CWCB group on here, one from etsy... I have seen them at target, but getting them online is the same price for better quality diapers.

And about the price thing--there is a HUGE range of prices in diapers. WAHM ones can be the most expensive, but from what I have heard, everyone LOVES them and they are much better quality. But you can also get cheap Alva pocket diapers for a few dollars (or less). And even though you spend more upfront, you end up spending less in the long run. (there is a great breakdown of costs in the FAQ sticky, mentioned above). I bought a little bit of a bunch of different kinds so I could see what I like before I buy a bunch of one thing.

and laundry--how hard is it to dump diapers in the wash, flip them, and then put them away? takes about a min to carry them to the washer, a min to flip them, a couple to put them away? don't know why people are so hung up on laundry?

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Totally worth it. I'm cd my second child with dipes I bought for my first. I've spent maybe $300 on my stash. When ds2 outgrows his nb stash, I'll sell it and buy more one size dipes that will last us through potty training. Then I'll sell everything and make money back! I did a cost analysis when I was pregnant with ds1 and Ifigure my total loss will be around $200 to diaper 2 kids. Compare that to at least $4,000!
mommyto3121405
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM

i loved them but we ending up switching back to sposies cuz of cost of laundry..we live in a apt complex and its 1.75 a load

amy31308
by Ashlee on May. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I liked doing them but they didn't work out for us. My daughter had a super sensitive butt and ironically the cloth diapers only made it worse despite what everyone said and despite what I tried so I quit. Good luck though :) hope it works for you
butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I found they were worth it. I went all out with my first born and boiught the expensive ones (All in ones, pockets, hybird fitteds and covers and shells like grovia) and i spent about 500.00. This baby? I haven't spent anything on diapers. That is more than half of the cost of diapers of savings. DH doesn't mind the savings, and how to clean and store them. It's really a personal preference with value wise.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

ERMDK
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I guess Kawaiis are a little big. We put them on DD2 when she was a couple weeks old, but she was 9.6 when she was born. If you have a 7 pounder, I don't know. I also like prefolds and covers when they are little, but my kids all hit a stage at like 8 months when they just will not hold still for a change, and I find putting prefolds on a wiggly, squirmy baby to be nearly impossible! Also, Gerber prefolds you can buy in Target, Walmart, BRU, etc? Absolutely worthless! Those were one of my big splurges, I think I paid $25 for a pack of 6, but it was so worth it!
Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You'll probably end up saving around $1500 if you stick to it and are smart about it. I recommend Kawaii diapers from www.theluvyourbaby.com. All the reviews I've read have said they do really well with a lot less leaking than popular name brands like BumGenius and they're affordable. 

Gingerbell.RN
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I have tried cloth diapers with my three youngest and every time I go back to disposable. I just don't like cloth..

I invested about $1000 in to cloth. I truly don't feel it saved us money.
mawc1014
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM

What website did you order them from with that coupon code?

Quoting 3kidz123:

They are worth it but be careful on what kind you get. Here's a few tips.

Most of the pricy ones are as good as the cheap ones

Using cotton prefolds with a cover can cause heat rash though pocket diapers don't seem to

Using a one size is a huge money saver!

If you do want to try prefolds and covers get a pocket diaper to use as a cover so if you change your mind you can just use the prefold in the pocket and no money lost.

Also if you order a 24 pack of kawaii diapers before the 18th of May using the coupon code on their site  "Happy Mother's Day" you get each one for 4 dollers and some change. They have two packs to choose from that gives you that price...the 24 pack of one size fits all pockets in ultra soft in solid colors, or the 24 pack of one size pockets in print. Each diaper comes with two inserts and the solid colors have double snaps which I like because it keeps them more secure.

I actually just ordered a 24 pack yesterday...it came to like $104 with the code plus free shipping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured