Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Cloth diaper's worth it?

DH and I are thinking of cloth diper's this time around and we would like to hear from mommy's that have used them and the throw away kind and ask if cloth diaper's are worth it. If so where can we find some we would like to stock up now

ttc

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
MamaScho88
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I used cloth diapers with my first 2 kids, and I have been cloth diapering my 3rd since birth (he will be 2 at the end of June)...I love cloth diapering, I will be cloth diapering my new baby as well, she's due in 13 days :) I use flip covers with prefolds inside...I have a couple oher types of cloth and this method is by far my favorite...cost effective and truly addicting...I actually love doing diaper laundry, makes me so happy to see all the clean diapers come out of the laundry lol

Married to the love of my life since 12/19/12, Mother to Miliana Elise since 03/03/2005, Ivan Elias since 12/21/08, Cristiano Alessio since 06/22/11, and expecting my little Shadiya Anais on 05/25/13

in lovetoddler girltoddler boytoddler boyexpecting girl

MillieJ
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I'm definitely going to be trying them :)

Lili0509
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ohhh ok...yea, I did the disposible kinds with my son, this time moneys a little tight so I was looking into the clothe ones...Thanks!

Quoting brittany208:

Nope. If you use prefolds (think the old fashioned cloth square), then you put a waterproof cover over it. Or you can buy a kind called "all in one" where the diaper is absorbant inside and the outside is the waterproof cover all sewn together. (there are other kinds of diapers, but that's the simple explanation).

Quoting Lili0509:

Hey everyone, so quick question, do cloth diapers soak through?? Like ok, baby pees while we're headed somewhere, he's in the car seat, would it not soak through?

Lili0509
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

They leak much less than disposibles in my experience

Quoting Lili0509:

Hey everyone, so quick question, do cloth diapers soak through?? Like ok, baby pees while we're headed somewhere, he's in the car seat, would it not soak through?

brittany208
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

check out the cuties with cloth booties group on here. they have an excellent FAQ sticky post that will tell you all the basic info you need to know to get started. It also includes an excellent breakdown of costs. Cloth costs a little more upfront in start up costs, but it can be FAR cheaper in the long run. It depends what kind of diapers you buy and how many, though. A lot of the ladies in that group probably havent saved money because they are so addicted to cute diapers, they buy waaaay more than they need :) but you definitely can do it for way cheaper.

Quoting Lili0509:

Ohhh ok...yea, I did the disposible kinds with my son, this time moneys a little tight so I was looking into the clothe ones...Thanks!

Quoting brittany208:

Nope. If you use prefolds (think the old fashioned cloth square), then you put a waterproof cover over it. Or you can buy a kind called "all in one" where the diaper is absorbant inside and the outside is the waterproof cover all sewn together. (there are other kinds of diapers, but that's the simple explanation).

Quoting Lili0509:

bonniemommy100
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful info i will be looking into this alot more now

07lilmama1108
by on May. 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I LOVE cloth! Dd was in sposies and every week we were buying a pack of diapers, using our last $20 and trying to stretch everything out until payday. With ds, I got 6 flip covers and 18 inserts from my baby shower, got 4 fuzzi buns lg pocket diapers with an overnight insert at a consignment shop while trading in some of dd's clothes. Mil buys a pack here and there but we haven't bought any in 16 months and it's so nice!!! We use that $20 for good or gas instead! I am washing everyday, 10 is NOT enough to go any longer. But now I'm in the process of making some. It's a LOT cheaper in the long run.
Mine did have a lingering ammonia smell until I gave them a cold rinse, hot wash with detergent then another hot wash with vinegar and a cold rinse, they smell brand new!
07lilmama1108
by on May. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I've been using 6 FLIP covers, 18 inserts since ds was born 16 months ago and LOVE how the white inserts go in black/dark brown and come out white as new EVERY TIME!!!

Quoting MamaScho88:

I used cloth diapers with my first 2 kids, and I have been cloth diapering my 3rd since birth (he will be 2 at the end of June)...I love cloth diapering, I will be cloth diapering my new baby as well, she's due in 13 days :) I use flip covers with prefolds inside...I have a couple oher types of cloth and this method is by far my favorite...cost effective and truly addicting...I actually love doing diaper laundry, makes me so happy to see all the clean diapers come out of the laundry lol

monkeybelle83
by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We're doing cloth.

I think we've spent around $250 and basically have a complete stash of both newborn and one-size.

Super excited for this baby to pop out so I can get his butt into some cute fluff!

taurusmom88
by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I find them worth it, and I even hate doing laundry. I always used to have a hard time doing it, but now I seem to keep up on all of our laundry better. Lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN