Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Water birthing?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

What is that and why would you do it. Like I have heard of it a few times but none of them of them were real informational. If you understand what I'm saying. Haha. Just brought up a few times. I mean I like to know about it to open some windows on birthing. This is my first child and I'm 11 weeks pregnant. I was thinking of getting an epidural but I'm not to surea bout that. I don't think I can handle natural birth from what my mother and my grandmother have said about it while my mother was living didn't sound something I could do. >.< Just need a little advice and information ladies.

Thanks so much. (:

by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM

A water birth is something moms do for several reason.  Pain relief is the biggest, much safer than the  epidural and other drug alternatives.     When moms research risks with the epidural and other meds they can also learn about natural coping strategies (like water) so they have lots to choose from!   :-)

Water alleviates pain, helps moms feel weightless, soothes and calms, gives moms privacy and space, requires more permission for interventions (reducing them/adding safety), brings baby into the world very gently.   It's so much more peaceful!   
I would suggest you start with the end/outcome;  how do you see your ideal birth experience?
   Once you start there then you can work backwards to set it up so you can achieve that.
My babies were born in the water, I have attended water and "land" deliveries, there are many options...

You can have a happy-comfy-enjoyable natural birth.    It's worth looking into!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Melamma
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

With my fourth I had a water birth. They sell these amazing round or oval cushioned pools specifically for birth. You put a plastic liner in it for sanitary reasons and easy clean up. You get a hose and a pump. It is so beyond easy. When you are laboring, the warm water relaxes your muscles and I find that it helps with visualizing each of my contractions as waves. It doesn't make the pain go away, but it makes them more bareable. I found it was THE most incredible thing for me. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with #5 and Iw ill be doing a waterbirth again. My last was born into the water. Your baby is always in water and going from the water inside of you to water outside onto you is very calming for the baby. My last didn't cry. He was so relaxed and calm. It was incredible. :) If you have any other questions, you're more than welcome to ask away! I LOVE talking about my birth experiences!

ame0608
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Here's a site that can give you more info: http://www.waterbirth.org/

Also, if you have a chance to watch _The Business of Being Born_, they talk about it there. (It's on Netflix instant stream.)

sfank
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I'm hoping for my first water birth with this pregnancy. Look at the Waterbirth International website if you want more info. They've got tons of great stuff. Congrats and I hope you have a great pregnancy!

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Go on youtube and watch water births. Its exactly what it sounds like "Birthing in the water" for many women its very soothing, helps with contractions, and is easy for pushing!

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I have not had a full water birth (tried to with my last one but I had to get out towards the end) but I love laboring in the water! It is great for pain relief and there are no side effects like medications.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)