Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural Birthing at a Hospital is a Joke

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 40 Replies

The hospital where I live has a family birthing area and say they promote natural birthing. You can't eat, they want you to be in bed with heart monitors 24/7. and you don't get options on birthing positions. If I could afford a homebirth I would. My mil is like it's for safety and you don't want to poop while pushing. As far as I remember giving birth isn't exactly pretty anyways. When I had my son they wouldn't let me be in the position I felt my body needed. When I got in the position and the heart monitors slipped they got mad but it was the only time I dilated well. What happened to listening to our bodies? I also believe in pushing when you feel like it. It is more natural and takes less time and effort. When I listened to my body and did it when I felt like it my son came out within minutes. When they tried to make me push when I didn't want to I didn't make much progress. So frustrated with my lack of options due to finances.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Grown_woman2192
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Id tell them to kiss my ass
Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Do they have midwives there? I had a natural birth in my hospital, but I didn't have any doctors attending, midwives came in with me. I was allowed to do whatever I wanted - I could eat whatever, they encouraged positions and showering, and they don't push you over time. Maybe look into seeing if you have any certified nursing midwives in your area?

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM
At the end of the day I am the customer of you don't like it get the f out. You can get mad but no other grown person is going to tell me what to do with my body.
katielovesyou21
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

not that take medicaid. im looking into homebirth im gonna see if there is someone who takes payment plans or something.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Do they have midwives there? I had a natural birth in my hospital, but I didn't have any doctors attending, midwives came in with me. I was allowed to do whatever I wanted - I could eat whatever, they encouraged positions and showering, and they don't push you over time. Maybe look into seeing if you have any certified nursing midwives in your area?

Britty1987
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
If hospital birth is your only option, remember those are just policies. Do what you want to. They can't make you do anything you don't want. You may have to fight for it though if that's what you really want. Good luck though!
xotatiannaxo
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Im sorry!!!  Im a doula and ive been to a lot of really really awesome births in the hospital.   where the mom was "allowed" to push in the postion she wanted.  and they were very giving and letting her do what she felt she needed to do.

I have also had home births, maybe look around for one to see if they take your insurance? some do take medicaid. and i know if you talk to them and tell them this is what you really want but... have a hard time coming up with the funds some will be willing to work with you.   and get a doula, maybe a student doula so it will be less pricey to help you with the birth .  im so sorry your dealing with all that.

mommyof2andTTC
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
My hospital is a catholic hospital,, even though I'm Christian we go there for the options they give... They have big tubs if you want to get in them,, pain meds or not they don't push either way... Ask for privacy they leave immediately unless you are in a medical emergency... Need something they have it for you in 5-10 min... (what i mean by catholic hospital is that they have a place to hold mass,, little figurines) its a normal hospital but they allow more of a relaxed/ this is your body,, kind of atmosphere... They do not push religion on you but they also don't discourage formula but they try to get you to breast feed or pump at least...)

Mommy of 2 girls & Pregs!  twin girls & pregnant belly

SrkStrickland
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM
If you cant find a midwife that will work with you (although most will) perhaps a doula could be of great help! I think every woman who wants a natural birth in the hospital should have one.
Emilytrademark
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

In most hospitals, yes it's a joke. Most hospital staff members haven't even witnessed a natural birth (and it's MUCH different than a medical birth). Much of this has to do with convenience and money. You really have to look for a suitable place to birth if you want to go natural; the place I am going is 40 minutes drive from me. I wanted to birth at a birth center or have a home birth, but my insurance wouldn't cover either option, but I was lucky to find a sort of in-hospital birthing center staffed by midwives. Not as good as homebirth, but it's a nice in-between option and they take my insurance.

BabyFruit Ticker
try4baby20
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Ask about intermittent monitoring the policy where I work states if you aren't on pitocin u only have to b monitored 20 min every hour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN