Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Non-paid maternity leave!

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this
I work at a dog daycare, I will have been there 16 months when the baby is born but I started the day it opened so it is a very new business. I am a manager and make salary but there's no benefits in place yet because they're still in the process of making a profit. I will not be getting any paid maternity leave. My question is, how do you guys prepare to not get paid for 2 months?
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I took a non paid leave of 6 weeks. We saved for months prior and stashed it all in our savings account. Aside from medical bills we're still ahead.
brittany208
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM

this is after the fact for you.... but...

when DH and I first got married, we set up our budget based on his income alone, so his paycheck covers all of our monthly bills with room to spare. That way I would always have the option of working if I wanted to or staying home if I didnt. As it is, I work very part time on and off, and my paycheck always only goes for straight towards whatever big thing we are saving up for--our first house, a newer car, paying down debt... so i never *have* to pay the bills, just to help further us along in life.

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
yeah I wish just his salary could support us and I guess it could but money would be very tight. we have a lot of cushion with my salary added on and my child support from my daughters father.

Quoting brittany208:

this is after the fact for you.... but...

when DH and I first got married, we set up our budget based on his income alone, so his paycheck covers all of our monthly bills with room to spare. That way I would always have the option of working if I wanted to or staying home if I didnt. As it is, I work very part time on and off, and my paycheck always only goes for straight towards whatever big thing we are saving up for--our first house, a newer car, paying down debt... so i never *have* to pay the bills, just to help further us along in life.

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM
about how much did you save up?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I took a non paid leave of 6 weeks. We saved for months prior and stashed it all in our savings account. Aside from medical bills we're still ahead.
Mariah-1987
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I'm going to take the full 12 weeks. I am stock piling diapers and wipes and anything else. I have 6 months paid ahead on the phone and van payment too. I'm trying to get as far ahead as possible.
rbailey2414
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

you just do it! I guess lol. I quit my job when I got pregnant and hubby started working.

angela84
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Well fortunately for us we make pretty decent money and live within/under our means so that one of our incomes pays all the bills, and the other income goes into savings. However, last year before I graduated college and got my job we were definitely broke and couldn't handle a baby and finances so we waited for a while until we got established before we tried for our first baby. I don't know how others do it but I know it must be tough. A coworker of mine only took off about 5 weeks with her baby and she was the main breadwinner. Our company was nice enough to pay her for those 5 weeks but she had to make it up and work extra over the following year.

Racheldp20
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Probably a good idea to start paying ahead on necessary bills and saving up. Just my husband works cuz I couldn't work, go to school, AND be pregnant. It's stressful at times, but we try to stick to the necessities and we always make it by.

kelly617
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I started saving up the minute I found out I was pregnant
over pay on bills so that they have credits towards them for when you can't pay on them while you're out
stock your pantry with essentials when they go on sale
Look into WIC for while you're out it'll help with the staples (milk, bread, formula etc)

ummmm thats all I can think of for the minute

bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
About $5000

Quoting marissabrookee:

about how much did you save up?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN