Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How did you keep your pregnancy a secret?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 32 Replies

How did you keep your pregnancy a secret for the first few weeks when you are constantly around people drinking and don't want anyone to be suspicious?

I am only 5.5 weeks pregnant. Right now only my in-laws know and I will be telling my parents and siblings next week, and telling DH and I's close friends around week 9.

DH and I are social drinkers, there are many upcoming situations where I will be offered alcohol and people will find it very suspicious that I am not drinking. My brother's graduation party is tonight, my excuse will be I am the DD. My friend's graduation party is tomorrow afternoon and I will have the same excuse. Every Sunday we have a couple's night and our friends come over to watch GOT and we always share a bottle of wine, the two weeks ago I just poured apple juice in a glass and when my friend offered to top me off with her bottle of wine, I just said I am not finished with my drink yet and nursed it until they left. Last Sunday I said I had a headache... I am running out of excuses! Also when we hang out with our neighbors (sometimes 3 times a week) we always have a glass of wine... I am trying to be inconspicuous, but I just feel like everyone can read it on my face!

Any suggestions for a wino who is hiding her pregnancy for a few weeks?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Pour your own drinks carry a cup so no one can offer you one.?

livingforthem83
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I told them that I'm not drinking anymore and turned down any offered drink.
MrsHill12
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Well we didn't really hide it lol... I had made previous plans to go drinking at bar with my sister and she kept wanting me to try her drink I kept telling her no or that's ok Etc etc and I had orange juice but finally me and DH laughed and said dude I'm pregnant! Lol.. And DH was too excited to not tell anyone
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I didnt haha I told all my close friends and family right away and then announced on facebook at 9 weeks.

CentralPAmomof2
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I avoided people, lol.

I'm not good at keeping secrets like that and it was really hard. I had to bite my tongue or walk away several times.

rwcw89
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I'm avoiding ppl. I have a pball game this weekend I'm missing and saying I goot a stomach bug . As for my parents I keep hiding my boobs (only 5 weeks but I shot up a bra size already) and just trying to avoid them. By 8 weeks ill probably tell them. Wanteed to wait until ihad a recognizable ultrasound.
zetajen
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

you could tell them you are doing a body detox program and are not supposed to drink alcohol during it. if you choose to tell such a lie, you better research one incase someone is interested in knowing about it. that is the trouble with lies. they are a lot of work.

brittany208
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM

With my first I hid it as long as possible, but I didnt really drink, so that wasn't hard.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on May. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I hardly ever drink so it's not a problem at all for me. 

I would stick to the apple juice or just drink water and let people think what they are going to think. If they ask questions you can just not say much. I mean you are pregnant, so if they suspect it, they are going to get a confirmation soon anyway.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We didn't tell people til 13 weeks. My only outlet was CafeMom and some very close friends that don't know/interact with my family. It was a huge relief.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN