Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I ate salami (oscar meyer) sandwich meat this week

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 15 Replies

SO my husband bought home some oscar meyer salami sandwich meat. I have never been someone who likes salami but for some reason was craving it so I cooked it in the microwave and ate it. Today my sister is like OMG dont eat salami its not good when your pregnant. Now I am worried I hurt the baby. I am 29 weeks and already have had a lot of trouble I do not want to add bacteria too it. A friend however told me I shoud be okay because its not raw salami and that oscar meyer pasturizes their meats so I should be okay as long as its not a constant thing and i make sure and cook it first to avoid listoria. should I be okay?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aldinea13
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

From what I have read deli meats and hot dogs are ok as long as you cook them to "steaming" first.

BabyFruit Ticker

brittany208
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

you are fine! the reason you aren't supposed to eat lunchmeats is because they arent cooked before you eat them--they could have gotten bacteria. BUT if you stored it correctly AND cooked it, then you're good to go.

I avoided lunch meat through my whole first pregnancy, but this time I've been eating it. It's one of those things that "could" happen, but is not likely if you are smart about it.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I have always eaten deli meats while pregnant. I never worried and never had an issue.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I always ate lunch meat when I was pregnant. Both my children are fine. I think they just want to reduce the risk of getting sick from a bacteria.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You can eat ANYTHING that isn't raw eggs or meat so long as you eat it in moderation. I've had dozens upon dozens of COLD sandwiches, not even heating the meat, during my pregnancies. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Also, deli meats ARE pre-cooked. You aren't eating raw meat, lmao. As long as the meats are stored at proper temperatures in your refrigerator or packed on ice, you're 110% okay.

WishingAway
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Your okay just this once heated. My dr doesn't recommend them even heated but some ladies dr's say as long as its heated.

Devious103102
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

You're fine, baby's fine, don't stress yourself out over some salami. 

tryinagain85
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I have always loved deli meats, pregnant or not. When i was pregnant with my now 1.5 year old daughter, i was addicted to eating salami right out of the package. I would just eat straight salami. I never had any problems with my pregnancy with her and she is healthy as can be. It was oscar meyer salami as well.

ERMDK
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I just had a big Oscar Meyer salami sandwich for lunch! Not worried.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured