Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

cirumcision questions for the clueless

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 74 Replies

So i recently found out that i am having a little boy. Couldnt be more excited but the reality just hit me that i now need to think about circumcision....

I realized that i am ignorant (

when should i circumcise?

who do i talk to about it?

what is recovery like for baby?

HELP!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
here's a BUMP!!! you will get alot of mixed feelings but keep in mind, its ultimately up to you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM
5 moms liked this

no circumcision! there is absolutely no medical need, and the myths about it decreasing std's and cancer are not true. the only "benefit" that science has to offer is the 5 seconds that it takes an older male [when the foreskin has retracted and is actually able to collect smegma, similar to how womens labia work] in the shower. before the foreskin naturally retracts, it is *fused* to the head of the penis, making it impossible for any bacteria or gunk to get under the foreskin. this is why proper intact care is important. never forcibly pull the foreskin back. wipe like you would his finger or toes.

http://www.circumcision.org/advocates.htm

http://thewholenetwork.com/

RMslady
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM
For us they did it the day after he was born? The day of? Well heck I don't remember lol one of those. Just talk toy your midwife or ob and they will point you in the right direction, I believe we just filled it out on our hospital paperwork. And the skin fell off around the same time as the umbilical cord.
sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Do what you think is best. I would talk to a pediatrician and do some extensive research on the subject. They say to circumcise before baby is eleven days old. I didn't have my boy circed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on May. 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't circumcise my son. It is not necessary. It's done for many reasons, tradition, religion, appearance, but there is no medical reason to do it. Baby penises are used for peeing, nothing more. You just keep it clean the way you'd wash his little fingers.
But in the hospital, its generally done before you leave and you can ask anyone and they'll direct you to whoever can do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SSMama0209
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

With my DS they did his about a day or 2 after he was born due to scheduling conflict or something like that. We are planning to have this little guy circumcised too. I had it in my birth plan with my DS and now with this little guy that I wanted it done. Just let your Midwife/OB know what you decide. Recovery was great for my son. He had no issues. They used a 'bell' on him so there was nothing more to do than keeping him clean.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
We did not circumcise. Www.drmomma.com has some very helpful info about circ.
Sarah321
by on May. 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Please don't! Let him decide when he is older. It is not ethical to do cosmetic surgery on an unconsenting minor. If you had a girl and someone wanted to cut part of genitals off, would you let them? If the thought disgusts you, it should, and so should letting them cut your baby boy. Please research it so you don't do it and then end up regretting it.

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do it in the hospital. They did DS the day after he was born.
Talk to your OB, they do it.
His recovery was great.
He cried a little, peed on my OB, and was fine after that.
Just keep Vaseline on it after every diaper change.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah321
by on May. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting SSMama0209:

With my DS they did his about a day or 2 after he was born due to scheduling conflict or something like that. We are planning to have this little guy circumcised too. I had it in my birth plan with my DS and now with this little guy that I wanted it done. Just let your Midwife/OB know what you decide. Recovery was great for my son. He had no issues. They used a 'bell' on him so there was nothing more to do than keeping him clean.

Please reconsider doing this to your second son. When you say "he had no issues"- well, he had no issues with his penis the way he was born either, so why cut part of it off? There is no special care for an intact baby boy. Please consider leaving him perfect as he is born and leaving elective surgery decisions up to him when he is older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN