Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Birth Plans

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 18 Replies
Even though I'm only 5 weeks I have been thinking more about my birth plan. Of course I thought of before I was prego lol. Anywho I want to just go natural and a lot of people say I can't do it but that is a main thing for me. What are you ladies birth plans if you have one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2beQua
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I plan on delivering at a hospital with a epidural.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found (personal experience) Birth plans for hospital births are pointless. Hospitals are gonna do whatever is in their policy, and there isn't anything you can do about it. I am having my second homebirth for this reason. Birth plan consists of laboring in my house, birthing in my tub, Hubby catching baby and placing him or her on my chest, then Hubby announcing the sex. Everything else is standard, like no cord cutting until placenta starts to detach, etc.

HerWife0421
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I have been told that by a few people about hospitals. Idk if I want to do a home birth or hospital birth. I just want to go natural no drugs at all and I don't want to be induced if it is no absolutely necessary. I want to go into labor on my own, but I've been having mixed feelings about home or hospital

Quoting NoraDun:

I have found (personal experience) Birth plans for hospital births are pointless. Hospitals are gonna do whatever is in their policy, and there isn't anything you can do about it. I am having my second homebirth for this reason. Birth plan consists of laboring in my house, birthing in my tub, Hubby catching baby and placing him or her on my chest, then Hubby announcing the sex. Everything else is standard, like no cord cutting until placenta starts to detach, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I always tell people that if they dont have complete confidence in their ability to birth at home then they shouldn't do it. Doubt is not good for or homebirthing!! I would highly suggest searching out a homebirthing Midwife, meet with them, and see how they make you feel. If you feel confident with them, go for it. If not search out an OB.

Quoting HerWife0421:

I have been told that by a few people about hospitals. Idk if I want to do a home birth or hospital birth. I just want to go natural no drugs at all and I don't want to be induced if it is no absolutely necessary. I want to go into labor on my own, but I've been having mixed feelings about home or hospital

Quoting NoraDun:

Mommy2beQua
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
It depends.... I interviewed a couple of hospitals to see which one fits my needs and plans (:
I understand what you're saying though, because some ppl don't have a choice on which hospital they want to deliver at

Quoting NoraDun:

angela84
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I'd say if you are planning for a hospital birth, hire a doula.

Roomfor1more
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Hospital delivery with a doula & very supportive SO.   

heathermarie23
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I've had 3 pain med free hospital births.  Only one of my births had the use of pitocin because my water had been broke for an extended period of time and I wasn't progressing as quickly as they would have liked.  I never wrote out a "birth plan" but I did tell my Dr I didn't want an episiotomy.  My Dr said "it's your birth you make the decisions I just make suggestions"  I'm also not too picky about giving birth, basically just leave me alone let me labor then come in and deliver the baby.  Just remember like with any plan in life things change so don't be overly stressed about your plan going as planned.

CelestialSong
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

If you're set on a hospital birth, I would try to find a midwife who can deliver there (I had a midwife for my hospital birth with my first and her "routines" were what I would have to fight for and write out in a plan if I had stuck with an OB - water birth, eating and drinking in labor, delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin, etc) and if you can't (or even if you can), hire a doula. It will really be your best bet for getting that natural birth.

This time I'm avoiding the hospital and am leaning towards a home birth (or I may go to a birth center) and if I write a plan it will mostly be in case I end up in a hospital anyway and would probably focus more on after the birth than labor.

brittany208
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

depends on the hospital and what exactly you want. my hospital is pretty natural birth friendly, and when i asked about things always said "if its okay with your dr!" so i got my dr to sign my birth plan and i should be good to go!

though with my first i didnt write a birth plan, and my nurse was really great with helping me have as natural of a birth as possible. so it depends on the hospital/nurse/dr

Quoting NoraDun:

I have found (personal experience) Birth plans for hospital births are pointless. Hospitals are gonna do whatever is in their policy, and there isn't anything you can do about it. I am having my second homebirth for this reason. Birth plan consists of laboring in my house, birthing in my tub, Hubby catching baby and placing him or her on my chest, then Hubby announcing the sex. Everything else is standard, like no cord cutting until placenta starts to d etach, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)