Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have you ever refused testing or considered it?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 55 Replies

Have you ever refused routine testing during pregnancy? Or considered it?

Tell me why you refused or chose to have the testing.

by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes.

I only do the blood work to determine pregnancy, and the 20 week u/s. My midwives were great about my choices & not pushy.

Beyond that, I don't do anything else because it wouldn't matter. No matter the outcome of any testing, I wouldn't do anything different.

When I was in high school, I had a friend get a false positive for downs. She was a wreck & I knew at that point I'd never want to go through that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

i never did the genetic testing or whatever its called.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

our drs are all so pushy they kept trying to make me get a flu shot and i kept refusing finally the nurse said "well it doesnt matter they will just give it to you after you have your baby!" they didnt lol

coolweathermom
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

That's great. Did you have gestational diabetes testing done?

Quoting kmqw229:

Yes.

I only do the blood work to determine pregnancy, and the 20 week u/s. My midwives were great about my choices & not pushy.

Beyond that, I don't do anything else because it wouldn't matter. No matter the outcome of any testing, I wouldn't do anything different.

When I was in high school, I had a friend get a false positive for downs. She was a wreck & I knew at that point I'd never want to go through that.

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I always refuse genetic testing and any vaccines they offer. I feel they aren't necessary
nicole2884
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I did all blood work an the neck scan all were simple blood draws nothing with risk
She's completely healthy. I just wanted to know so I would be mentally prepared if something was wrong

I would not VAX
mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Yep, I refuse testing through the whole pregnancy with the exception of the 1 hour glucose test because diabetes runs heavily in my family and most of the women have ended up with GD, so I choose to keep that in check and checking my iron levels because I have a blood disorder and need to know where that level is at pretty regularly to keep myself healthy.

If it isn't those two things I don't do it with the exception of 1-3 ultrasounds for a full pregnancy, not for testing either just to check on baby's growth.

I have my reasons, but the main ones are that I feel the test are pointless for me, there are a high rate of false positives with a lot of those tests, and I freaking hate being around doctors.
LTryon
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I refused the genetic testing, because it's not accurate, and there was no reason to stress myself out over inaccurate numbers. I did do pretty much everything else (glucose test, rhogam shot, and etc). They did ask me about the flu shot once, but then he looked at my chart and said "nevermind, you're allergic to latex, so we won't be doing that".
LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I refused an amnio with my first pregnancy and with this pregnancy, I refused the blood test that tests for my babies likliehood of having downsyndrome and things of that nature because there's nothing that they could do IF my child were to have a chance of having something.
There's no point in the risk of stressing myself out over something that I can't do anything about....plus, this baby will have all the love in the world, no matter what.

SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I only have the bloodtests for std screenings and titers (it is required at my office to have those) one ultrasound and glucose screen. Genetic testing and all that is too innacurate for my tastes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)