Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For moms who have gone into labor on their own before...

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 77 Replies

Where were you and what were you doing when you went into labor? How did you know you were in labor?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dreamly
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I only went into labor with my first pregnancy. I was laying in bed watching a movie after we just had 4th of July bbq dinner. I never had any cramps, bh, pains, etc, so when I felt my first contraction at exactly 40 weeks, I knew that it was the start of something. I had her via emergency c-secton at 3am on the 6th after a very long labor.

mrspreggers14
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I was asleep when my labor started with both of my kids.
3kidz123
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

With my last I was home in bed, I woke up feeling diffrent and even though I wasn't in pain i had a feeling it was the day so I rested in bed while my kids slept and played on my computer. I didn't actually know I was in labor, I started to have small contractions but LOTS of back discomfort and just needed to take a bath. My contractions weren't timeable or lasting long and I thought at best I might be starting early labor but wouldn't have her till much later that night. Since mt midwife was out of state my husband called her so she could come back, but she sent her assistant to check me first. Her assistant got ther fast and when she checked i was 8cm and from there it all went really fast! lol

My husband and I are actually really worried this baby will come without warning and he'll be working and miss it! 

fancyjane
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

With #1- I had been feeling "yuck" all day and had kind of relaxed and napped most of the day. 2am, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to take a shower. Got out of the shower and my water broke in a massive gush all over the floor. Contractions started an hour later- pretty gradual but noticeable. She was born 4 hours after contractions started, 5 hours after my water broke.

With #2- I had a c-section. (Very unwanted, but I felt backed into a corner with my options. He was breech and my doc wouldn't do a vaginal breech delivery and I couldn't find anyone else in the area to do one either.) I had contractions 4/hour from 32 weeks on. Labor never actually started before they did the c-section. I was already 4cm dilated and 80% effaced, but I could have walked around like that for days before labor officially kicked in. 

With #3- I had contractions 4/hour from 26 weeks on. The week before he was born, they picked up to every 10 minutes. When they got to every 5 minutes, we decided that was it. He was born about 9 hours later.

With #4- I have contractions 4/hour from 20 weeks on. Three weeks before he was born, they increased to every 10 minutes. (They'd stop for a few hours here and there, but most of the time, I was having contractions every 10 minutes. Not painful. Just annoying. This is called prodromal labor, FTR.) They increased to every 5 minutes the day before he was born. I took a bath and had a glass of wine to see if they'd stop. They spaced back out to every 10 minutes. So, I went to bed. Woke up early the next morning with them every 5 minutes again. Decided to go ahead and call it labor and roll with it. He was born about 8 hours later.

natural_s
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

With my first I had back labor so took over an hour before I figured something was wrong and went to hospital but I was laying down trying to relieve the back pain.

No labor on my own with second because had went into labor early and had labor stopped and was put on bed rest until due date.

With my third was at home again and just started having very painful contractions so figured I was in labor.

With my fourth had woken up early in the morning (had an induction scheduled that morning because was week past due date) in pain went to the bathroom and mucus plug came out and contractions got stronger, so yay did not have my induction went to labor on my own and had the baby 8am the time my induction was scheduled. I had woken up 6am.

Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Sleeping when I went into labor with my son.. waiting around at the hospital's birthing center, knowing my daughter would be coming soon with the second. LOL

brittany208
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

did the contractions wake you up and you started timing them? did you go back to bed or get up and do last minute cleaning? 

Quoting mrspreggers14:

I was asleep when my labor started with both of my kids.

brittany208
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM

wow! that makes me a little nervous bc with my first i didnt know i was in labor either. i showed up to the hospital to be induced and they said "you are having contractions 5 min apart, lasting a min long" oh, i am??? i didnt even know!

this time i can definitely feel the contractions though!! just waiting for them to get regular 

Quoting 3kidz123:

With my last I was home in bed, I woke up feeling diffrent and even though I wasn't in pain i had a feeling it was the day so I rested in bed while my kids slept and played on my computer. I didn't actually know I was in labor, I started to have small contractions but LOTS of back discomfort and just needed to take a bath. My contractions weren't timeable or lasting long and I thought at best I might be starting early labor but wouldn't have her till much later that night. Since mt midwife was out of state my husband called her so she could come back, but she sent her assistant to check me first. Her assistant got ther fast and when she checked i was 8cm and from there it all went really fast! lol

My husband and I are actually really worried this baby will come without warning and he'll be working and miss it! 

LuvMyBoys09
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I was on the couch, writhing around in pain because I was having such horrible connections.
I knew I was in labor because my now ex MIL was timing the contractions which were 5 minutes apart and not getting better no matter what I did.
Called my doctor and he told me to get to l&d.
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

1st, my water broke in a huge gush while I was sleeping. I was actually spending tonight at my moms so hubby and I were caught off guard. 7.5 hours labor

2nd I was at home noticing a drop in fetal movement, freaked me out so the doc sent us in. She was fine on ultrasound but I was 4cm so I stayed. 5.5 hours labor

3rd was born home, I got a feeling the night before that labor was coming soon. The next day I woke to bloody show at 9am and my first contraction was at 11am, I was actually at the cable office went hat one came bc I went and did a few things before labor started:) they came regularly and I never doubted labor, 4 hours from first contraction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)