Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental health issues and pregnancy

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

What do you do if you have mental health issues that normally you keep under control with medication but can't now because you are pg? I don't know if it's the hormones or what but my anxiety is through the roof, and I have started yelling at the kids again. I can't take my adderall so staying focused and on task has been way out of reach to the point that a few times I have forgotten to take my insulin or check my blood sugar levels even with having alarms set on my cell phone to remind me to do so. I mean I am back to having a cluttered house full of half finished chores which was the case before started taking medication for my ADHD. So far the only thing I can think of is to go back to therapy.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
3kidz123
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I'd do therepy if it helps, also look into natural meds (homeopathic). I know there is a natural ADD/ADHD med that's safe for adults and kids that I use to be on but it was costly so I stopped. Also anxiety there are plenty of safe options...a complete B liquid vitamin, rescue remedy for panic attacts and just general anxiety and stress...there is a ton out there!

If you have a midwife or can switch to one she would probably be able to help you find the best natural match for your needs.

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I have PTSD from being raped by an ex a few years ago so I have massive anxiety and panic attacks. My anxiety has actually gotten a lot better during my pregnancy. I always did relaxation and breathing techniques. I do have emergency medicine that I can take only when I absolutely have to. Therapy also works. Talk to your doctor about it that way they know what's going on.
Mothercardinal
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Thanks ladies!

Amandalafula
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Its not easy but a necessary sacrifice I suppose. I suffer from mild-mod depression and being off my effexor is torturous. I have a short fuse, am always crying and have mood swings like nobdys business. Thats how I was off my meds (been on sffexor for 9+ years) and its compounded by preg hormones. wish I had more advice to give .. I knkw its a total b*tch but worth it to make sure you have a healthy baby.
mrsp1212
by on May. 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I continue to take Zoloft on the advice of my OB and therapist.

Lili4You
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I am bipolar but have always had issues remembering to take my meds. And have been completely off of them for about 6 months now (18 weeks preggers). The thing that works best for me is using skills that I learned in therapy and in this DBT (Dielectical Behavioral Therapy) program that I am in. The two that are most effecrtive for me is "setting a timer" and "Pros and cons." Both are really easy but effective and as soon as you start making an effort to change how you are feeling in the moment, it can cause an immediate improvement. So setting a timer is just that. If you are feeling really anxious, set a timer for 15 min. After that 15 minutes is up, you have to do something productive/self-care. Like wash some dishes or do your eyebrows but you have to focus ALL your attention on that task. So if you are washing dishes notice all the scratches on the plate, or remember how good the meal tasted that was served on that plate.

For pros and cons, its more for actions that may negatively affect you or others. So for me it would be staying in bed all day because I am depressed. So I would make a list (either mentally or on paper) about the pros and cons of staying in bed versus the pros and cons of getting out of bed and being a productive member of society.

I hope this helps. If you are interested in more feel free to message me. And remember to breathe. I hear its necessary for life. :-)

July_mommy
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I know your pain...I'm going through this and feeling like I'm falling out of love with my DF for no reason...it sucks...I feel completely disconnected...and  weird

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I see my shrink and use my coping skills. When I am cycling I pretty much tell my husband and dd mommy needs alone time. I also make dh aware of what I am going through
BoggiezMom
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I took zoloft while pregnant
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)