Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Placental Abruption at 14 weeks?!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was diagnosed with a placental abruption at 13 weeks and 2 days. I know it's not that common for women under 20 weeks but I'm just so scared!! I've had 3 episodes of gushing blood with clotting and bleeding for a day or 2 afterwards. I am now 14 weeks and 2 days and have been on strict bedrest but sill bleeding. My OBGYN doesn't seem overly concerned because the baby is doing good. How likely is it for this to be fatal for me?? I'm scared of all the blood loss. Thanks so much in advance!!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Nee86
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
How closely are you being monitored? I really don't want to scare you but my last pregnancy ended with a placental abruption. Stay on the bed rest.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not a medical personal, so anything I say is pure educational suggestions based on my experiences, research, etc. You really need to these questions and concerns to your Dr and get their answers :)

From my research risk of it being fatal for you are slim (with medical care these days), it is risky to your baby and the risk is much higher that it could be fatal for him/her. Stay on strict bedrest! I am not sure if your in hospital or not, but I would ask to be admitted and put on monitoring and strict bedrest! I am not sure if they will given your weekage though. So you will have to find out. With a placental abruption I think its pretty likely you will deliver a preemie. Not certain, but likely. So you have to set small goals. Tell yourself ok I am gonna focus on making it to 16 wks. Baby at 16 wks is approximately 3.5 oz. Then when you make it, say I am gonna make it to 20 wks. Baby at 20 wks is 10.2 oz appox. Your biggest goal is 24 wks. If you can get to 24 wks you can breath a slight sigh of realief. Baby will be over 1lb in size and considered viable! So you can relax and feel like if you MUST deliver premature baby can survive by then. After 24 wks just think your fattening your baby up :) Every week that goes by makes him/her a little fatter, and a little more ready! If you take it a few weeks at a time, you can focus on the triumphs! You can do this, just try to stay as stress free as possible, avoid the internet, and just really concentrate on you and baby! Good Luck sweetie. Wish you the best!

daydreamer86
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
For me my placental abruption at 37 weeks was almost fatal for my baby and i. If they can keep you pregnant, thats great but abuptions are scary and usually never good :(

https://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/complications_abruption.html

http://www.justmommies.com/pregnancy/concerns-and-complications/placental-abruptionabruption

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope everything is ok!  Sorry, I have no experience.  Will say a prayer that all is ok.  If you aren't happy with the answers your doctor is giving you, it never hurts to get a second opinion.

KariC33
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I had it at 10weeks with my dd, they told me i had a 50/50 chance of miscarrying. i went on strict bedrest and they said it seemed to have solved on its own after a couple of weeks. After that my whole pregnancy went well but then i had the problem with the placenta again at 39weeks. I gushed so much blood and they did an emergency c-section once i arrived at the hospital. My dd almost died when she was born. We stayed at the hospital 2week she was in intense cares and so was I. I lost to much blood i had to get 3transfusion. But shes 3months now and shes doing perfectly fine:) i think my placenta was loose since the beginning idk but maybe mine didnt attach right once she was conceived. This is not to scare you but to show you that things can end good at the end. I suggest you call your dr often even if you feel like your anoying them just ti be sure everything if ok. I remember calling all the time for little things lol
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on May. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I really don't know enough to give you advice. All I can suggest is getting a second opinion for peace of mind. Praying for you!

ehreekah09
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Thanks so much everyone!! I am at home on bedrest. It eases my mind knowing I'm not alone but mostly that other women have overcome this!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)