Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TEENS!!! How'd you break the news to your folks

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 52 Replies
3 moms liked this
I am 18 and When i reached 3 months i broke the news to my father by handing him my proof of pregnancy. I found it easier than words and after he kept screaming that it was all his fault i gave him some time to collect himself. All was well the next day. Im about to give birth on sunday and he has been with me till the end.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

i wasnt a teenager, but you would have thought i was by my parent's reaction. my dad (who never cries) was about in tears. My mom did cry later. they told me how disappointed they were blah blah blah... they got over it by the time baby got here. it helps that i didnt live with them anymore and got married when i was about 4 months along.

we just told them over dinner, in between bites and "please pass the chicken." they were stunned.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I was 18 but married. I just told everyone we were expecting our first. Everyone was excited! Had I not been married I would of highly disappointed them all! They wouldnt have to say a thing, I would of been disappointed in myself!

Lovin_mybaby5
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I was 18 but I had been married for 4 months...my family didn't really like my dh but after I told them it was fine everyone was happy for us

HuntersMomma362
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately my family would have preferred me to be married first but i had only known the guy for 4 months. I cant say i regret it because i know that if it wasnt for me and hunter, his dad would have committed suicide due to everything he was going through at the time. I have been helping him get on his feet and become a man because he is only 22 and his parents never bothered to help him learn how to take care of himself. He now has a good job, as a plumbers assistant, he is studying for his drivers license, ive been helping him learn how to save his money and hes getting a car, and then he will be saving money for our apartment. Hes also been helping me be a better person by working on my anger and we have come a loooong way since august

Quoting NoraDun:

I was 18 but married. I just told everyone we were expecting our first. Everyone was excited! Had I not been married I would of highly disappointed them all! They wouldnt have to say a thing, I would of been disappointed in myself!

Racheldp20
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm only 20 and we were only married for three or four months prior to getting pregnant but my parents were very excited. My mom especially, she can't wait to be a grandma, it's sweet. I think a lot of parents are disappointed and freak out when their teenage or unmarried children get pregnant because they're afraid they won't have the support they need and they know how difficult it can be to provide for yourself and a child. I'd definitely be disappointed in my kid if they got pregnant unmarried since we don't believe in premarital sex for religious reasons, but I'd still be there for them and love them.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great!! If you can turn a not so great situation into a great one, it makes it all worth it!

Quoting HuntersMomma362:

Unfortunately my family would have preferred me to be married first but i had only known the guy for 4 months. I cant say i regret it because i know that if it wasnt for me and hunter, his dad would have committed suicide due to everything he was going through at the time. I have been helping him get on his feet and become a man because he is only 22 and his parents never bothered to help him learn how to take care of himself. He now has a good job, as a plumbers assistant, he is studying for his drivers license, ive been helping him learn how to save his money and hes getting a car, and then he will be saving money for our apartment. Hes also been helping me be a better person by working on my anger and we have come a loooong way since august

Quoting NoraDun:

marissabrookee
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I told my dad first and sat him on a couch and just said it. he was speechless and had to take time but he was fine within a few days. then I called my mom bc she was in Germany for work and she guessed. but was fine in a few days too.
jojo_star
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I was 12, I didn't really tell them, my brother found me in the bathroom with the positive test, and he got our parents. They didn't want to believe it at first, rushed me to the ER, but the ultrasound convinced them. They were completely supportive, and did everything they could to help me. 

mommi128
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I was 18, but the first time I was late with my period and thought I was pregnant I was 16. My dad made me take a test in front of him kind of embarrassing. He was freaked out. He went to talk to the other parents. They were happy but upset. My dad wanted to abort if I was the other family said no if I was. 

RMslady
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I was 18. Thousands of miles away from my parents I called my mom on a break at work. I told her she was going to be a grandma and she screamed what and hung up on me. She was at work too and flipping through a magazine saw an ad for onesies and that was it, she was on board lol. We are now expecting baby #3 :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)