Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reliable info on the oral Vit K (K-Quinone)?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am ordering my birthing kit and its an option I have to decide on. My daughter didn't get it when she was born at home (but that was an unplanned home birth). I need info on it, and opinions please! Thanks

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
polkaspots
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM
From what I know babies don't really need it unless they'll be circumcised before the eight or ninth day (I don't remember which day it is) Both my kids got it in the hospital, but this next one won't. We dont circ. It's for bleeding, so unless baby has surgery of any sort they don't really need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

We do circumcise but I can schedule it later then that, so if that is the only concern that is easily remedied.

Quoting polkaspots:

From what I know babies don't really need it unless they'll be circumcised before the eight or ninth day (I don't remember which day it is) Both my kids got it in the hospital, but this next one won't. We dont circ. It's for bleeding, so unless baby has surgery of any sort they don't really need it.

polkaspots
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM
It's either the eighth or ninth day where baby's natural vit k levels are highest, so if you do it on that day you can avoid the supplement.

Quoting NoraDun:

We do circumcise but I can schedule it later then that, so if that is the only concern that is easily remedied.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My son didn't have it and he was fine
My doc told me they usually only do it if there is a reason to think there will be a clotting issue

oh and he was circ'ed at 4 days and had no issues with clotting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)