Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Any tricks to help dilate at home

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 18 Replies
I am wondering if anyone has had any success with at home tricks to help labor along. I am 39.5 weeks and my cervix has been softening and thinning for weeks, however I haven't dilated at all yet. I don't want to try castor oil as I've read it can be dangerous to both the baby and me. Just wondering if anything has worked safely for any Moms :)
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

you can try sex, walking, heavy lifting... but the best thing is just to give it time. baby will come when baby is ready

doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Why do you want to force it?     It obviously works fine without help!
;-)

Sex with your guy can help (semen).

kayleighsmom628
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I'm not trying to "force" it, Im just trying to see what has worked for other moms because I may have to be induced otherwise.  I realize that none of the methods work unless your body is already preparing for labor.  I just want to try what I can safely until it either happens on its own, or I have to go in to be induced.  I'd really like to avoid induction, though!

I've heard the sex thing, and we've been trying! ;)

SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I would try sex and just relaxing as much as you can!  Baby will be here before you know it :) Massages help a lot too. It might not bring on labor but it may relax you enough to not stress about it! :)

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM
There are fun things to try like sex, walking, foot massage, spicy food, ect. But those won't put you on labor if your baby isn't ready.

Castor oil is dangerous.

You aren't even at your due date to try ro relax and let baby come. You do not have to be induced if you don't want to. Normal gestation is to 42 weeks as awful as that sounds, induction is not something women need... doctor's push it because it's better for them.

Quoting kayleighsmom628:

I'm not trying to "force" it, Im just trying to see what has worked for other moms because I may have to be induced otherwise.  I realize that none of the methods work unless your body is already preparing for labor.  I just want to try what I can safely until it either happens on its own, or I have to go in to be induced.  I'd really like to avoid induction, though!

I've heard the sex thing, and we've been trying! ;)

Heymamashakeit
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I used evening primrose oil. I put a pin prick in the capsule and inserted it up there. Only one though. And use a sterile needle obviously lol
Sagemm
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Oil as above is good, nipple stimulation, sex, walking; lots of it...
MacMamaof5
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Nipple stimulation is no joke...well, it wasn't for me.  Of course I was right at my due date and had been walking and then relaxing after a nice steak, chicken, and potato dinner.  Water broke right after.

kayleighsmom628
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Im a day past due date now, but Im trying not to focus on that as due dates can be off.  I wont try the castor oil bc I have heard its dangerous, and I dont want to do anything that can put the baby at risk.  Thanks for the replies! Ive been doing the walking, spicy foods, massages, etc...

kayleighsmom628
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM

How long did you use the evening primrose oil for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN