Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the hormone that predicts premature labor was a positive :( help advice please

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

I am 24 weeks & 4 days . I have been at risk for premature labor & have had contractions since I was 12-14 weeks . I also have a bicorneaute uterus ( heart shaped ) . Well , they did a test that can detect a certain hormone for premature labor & it came back positive . When they did that Pap smear , she also found that I have BV & a yeast infection . She said that the BV & yeast could have caused it to be a false positive . My question is , do infections like that really have an effect on a test like that ? She didn't sound like those infections caused it , since i do have a bicorneaute uterus and all that . What do y'all think

by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.ramirez
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Yeast infections are common during pregnancy. I have never heard of this test before.

As for the premature labor deal, there isn't much you can do other than stay positive, take care of yourself and take reassurance in the fact that you've made it this far and medical intervention at this point is pretty successful, so try not to stress over it.

georgiapeachh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I'm trying to stay calm & not get paranoid .but I wonder if yeasts infections & bv really can mess up a pap smear and give a false positive to a premature labor pap .ya know ?

Quoting mrs.ramirez:

Yeast infections are common during pregnancy. I have never heard of this test before.

As for the premature labor deal, there isn't much you can do other than stay positive, take care of yourself and take reassurance in the fact that you've made it this far and medical intervention at this point is pretty successful, so try not to stress over it.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yes they can, and I dont trust those to much to be honest. I have heard people get false positives and not deliver until 42 wks, or false negatives and deliver the next day. Contractions can be normal during early pregnancy (I have them too) but as long as your not dilating you should be fine. The infection could be the cause of the contractions too! I would make sure you stay extra hydrated, invest in calcium magnesium to ease uterine contractions, and take it easy!

georgiapeachh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Really ? It's freaking me out

Quoting NoraDun:

Yes they can, and I dont trust those to much to be honest. I have heard people get false positives and not deliver until 42 wks, or false negatives and deliver the next day. Contractions can be normal during early pregnancy (I have them too) but as long as your not dilating you should be fine. The infection could be the cause of the contractions too! I would make sure you stay extra hydrated, invest in calcium magnesium to ease uterine contractions, and take it easy!

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Well what does your Dr say, are you showing signs of dilation??

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Quoting NoraDun:

georgiapeachh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Cervix has been closed . I have to call Monday and make.appointment for tues.or wed. To.check . But when she did the pap smear , cervix was closed . That was on Monday..just few days ago

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Quoting NoraDun:

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I would try to avoid cervical checks because to many could cause your cervix to begin to thin and open. The fact your cervix is closed is great, and I would assume means your risk is much less. Keeping your contractions to a minamal is key. Some contractions are normal. But you dont want them to painful or too close together. Seirously consider calcium magnesium. Google the benefits. Its over the counter and works well, and is good for all kinds of things! Also make sure you drink a ton. Warm baths are helpful too. Good Luck hun

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Cervix has been closed . I have to call Monday and make.appointment for tues.or wed. To.check . But when she did the pap smear , cervix was closed . That was on Monday..just few days ago

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Quoting NoraDun:

georgiapeachh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay (: I take warm baths every night and have been drinking water . I guess ill leave it in God's hands .just so.nervous . im ready to meet him.. but not yet ! Atleast until 30 weeks . Not 24 :( .. and the contractions are not painful just very uncomfertable as they always are .. but deffinitly not.painful . She said if I have 6 or more in 1 hour to go to labor and delivery to be examined & watched. so I'm just going to keep an eye on how many contractions I.have.and that's it . that's all I can do

Quoting NoraDun:

I would try to avoid cervical checks because to many could cause your cervix to begin to thin and open. The fact your cervix is closed is great, and I would assume means your risk is much less. Keeping your contractions to a minamal is key. Some contractions are normal. But you dont want them to painful or too close together. Seirously consider calcium magnesium. Google the benefits. Its over the counter and works well, and is good for all kinds of things! Also make sure you drink a ton. Warm baths are helpful too. Good Luck hun

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting georgiapeachh:

Quoting NoraDun:

daydreamer86
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM
As a person who gets bv infections often, Infections do cause cramping/ contractions. It sucks. Also baths and scented soaps are a no no
Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Keep in mind that the FFN (fetal fibronectin) test coming back positive doesn't mean you WILL go into premature labor, it just means there is a chance (which you already know, since you've been battling this for a while). Hang in there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)