Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Blood test

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

I need to get a blood test since I am 3 weeks late and still getting negative home tests. But I'm really not feeling comfortable with my doctor. So my question is, do I have to have an appointment to have the doctor order the test or can I just call and have them write an order? What have your experiences been?

by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I've never had a blood test. In my experience I've had positive results with their urine tests even when the home ones were coming up negative. I'm pregnant wih my third and I've never had a hpt come up positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I've been seeing so many stories like this. Makes me wonder what the heck is up with hpt's I didn't have any trouble getting a positive with my first. With my second I was a week late before they worked. So I'm really wondering what is up. 

Quoting polkaspots:

I've never had a blood test. In my experience I've had positive results with their urine tests even when the home ones were coming up negative. I'm pregnant wih my third and I've never had a hpt come up positive.

polkaspots
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I don't know. I actually ended up not even taking a test at home when I found out I was pregnant with this one. I was at the doctor to get the birth control implant. But with my first two I was already two or three months along when I finally went to the doctor and had it confirmed. I spent so much money on hpts and ended up taking them with three pregnancies and never having a positive result (my first two kids and one miscarriage). I don't even bother with hpts anymore. I've had a few occasions where I thought I was pregnant because of how infrequently I was getting my period (nursing) and I just went to the clinic for a test. Much easier and more reliable. In fact when I see posts on here from women who think they might be I just say go to a clinic. The hpts at the store are ridiculously expensive considering they have such a low succes rate.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I've been seeing so many stories like this. Makes me wonder what the heck is up with hpt's I didn't have any trouble getting a positive with my first. With my second I was a week late before they worked. So I'm really wondering what is up. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Call the doc, see if he can order the tests over the phone then you can just call back and get the results. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I use the cheap tests, all different kinds, and confirm with FRER's. So I haven't spent TOO much. But I have taken like 15 tests. So at this point, it's starting to add up.

Did they say why hpt's don't work for you? I've always wondered since I know they don't work for a lot of people.

Quoting polkaspots:

I don't know. I actually ended up not even taking a test at home when I found out I was pregnant with this one. I was at the doctor to get the birth control implant. But with my first two I was already two or three months along when I finally went to the doctor and had it confirmed. I spent so much money on hpts and ended up taking them with three pregnancies and never having a positive result (my first two kids and one miscarriage). I don't even bother with hpts anymore. I've had a few occasions where I thought I was pregnant because of how infrequently I was getting my period (nursing) and I just went to the clinic for a test. Much easier and more reliable. In fact when I see posts on here from women who think they might be I just say go to a clinic. The hpts at the store are ridiculously expensive considering they have such a low succes rate.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Nope. The doctors usually said something along the lines of its a good thing you came in then. I was buying three boxes of three different brands at a time and still getting negative results at a month past my missed period. I just don't think they're worth the money anymore.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I use the cheap tests, all different kinds, and confirm with FRER's. So I haven't spent TOO much. But I have taken like 15 tests. So at this point, it's starting to add up.

Did they say why hpt's don't work for you? I've always wondered since I know they don't work for a lot of people.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I'm not sure, but good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

not really sure...my PCP always does the blood tests for me, will yours?

Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

wait...which doc? your OB or your primary care you aren't comfy with? by FB the other day I'm going to go with OB lol

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

OB for sure! I am very comfortable with my pcp. But we live an hour and a half away from her. I would have to wait a couple weeks to get in. The hospital and OB office is 15 minutes from us. 

I called the OB office a couple hours ago and asked how to go about getting a blood test. None of the office staff knew what to do and apparently all the doctors are out of the office. They told me to call back tomorrow and the head nurse in charge of L&D and the OB office might be able to get me a blood test.  

Quoting Larsbug:

wait...which doc? your OB or your primary care you aren't comfy with? by FB the other day I'm going to go with OB lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN