Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you count how long you were in labor?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 32 Replies

Wednesday and Thursday (a couple weeks ago) I had braxton hicks contracts. they were very irregular and stopped when I laid down

Friday morning, I started having irregular contractions at 9am. They lasted on and off all morning.

At 2pm, I had a drs appt. He said I was 5cm dilated and was likely in early labor.

At 3:45, I realized my contractions were regular, at 11min. Then, they jumped to 6min, then 3min...

Got to the hospital at 6:15. Gave birth at 8:19.

So... how long was I in labor? From 9am to 8:19 pm--11.5 hours? From 3:45 to 8:19--4.5 hours? or something else? My family keeps saying "she was only at the hospital for 2 hours!" which is true... but doesnt feel entirely accurate

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
try4baby20
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Active labor is past 4 cm so most likely 1pm-819... A little over 7 hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
To_the_moon
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Hmmm... I counted my labor by when my water broke to when my daughter was born. My water broke at 2 am on December 4th and she was born at 6:55 pm that night, so that's almost 17 hours. For you I'd say you were in labor from 2 to 8:19 and that's 6 hours maybe a bit more than that?
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I count the entire labor from when it starts, so the 11.5. If you kept having them start at bedtime and keep you up all night, you would too, lol.

I count active labor from when you know that it's not likely to quit on you and just have been prodromal labor. So probably from about that 3:45 point. I don't get VEs, so I can't go by cms, lol.

So for example I had 30 hours of labor with my third, 14 active. With my 4th it was 12 and 9.5.
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

consistant contractions, active labor.  I have WEEKS of predominal labor and my active lavor lasts about 24hs.

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

LoveOfWisdom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

and I would say for you, EARLY labor started Friday morning.

brittany208
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I was at 4cm for two weeks with my first...

Quoting try4baby20:

Active labor is past 4 cm so most likely 1pm-819... A little over 7 hours

taurusmom88
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I counted from my first contraction to birth. So i was in labor for 2 hours. If i counted it from water breaking it would only be like 2 minutes. Lol.
norahsmommy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM
With most of my labors my water broke first before any contraction. To me it started then and ended when baby was born. With the 1 where contractions started first, I counted it from the first contraction I had and it ended when she was born. This last labor my water broke at noon and I didn't have my first contraction until 5. He was born at 9:45 and we had only been in the hospital about an hour.
polkaspots
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I started the count from when my contractions started. I had already been having regular contractions for 16 hours with my first when my water broke and maybe 8-10 with my second. I never had Braxton hicks contractions though, so when my contractions started we knew the baby was coming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

consistant contractions, active labor.  I have WEEKS of predominal labor and my active lavor lasts about 24hs.

I agree with this!! With my first I had no predominal labor. Not even so much as a BH the entire pregnancy. I started having cramping at 10am on a Saturday morning and delivered 12:58sm Sunday morning. If I count that it would be 15 hrs. But I dont. I wasn't in active labor until around 8. So I count from 8-12:58am so about 5 hrs. Baby #3 I had a month of predominal labor, actually about 1 1/2 months. Active labor started at about 6 Saturday afternoon and I delivered at 1:52 am Sunday morning. He was sunnyside up and the hospital refused to admit me. So it was a slightly longer labor due to lots of hospital interventions. About 8 hrs. Baby #3 I was in predominal labor for a week but active labor was 1 hr and 58 min. I would go by when active labor started!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)