Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contractions are like period cramps?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi all! I'm pregnant with my first child. I asked by OB what contractions feel like and was told they're often like strong period cramps.

I was then talking to a nurse that mentioned that if the contractions are like typical period cramps, they'll be felt in the lower abdomen and, unfortunately, if they're felt in the lower back, they hurt much worse.

Great.... I've always gotten my period cramps in my lower back. In fact, until that conversation, I didn't even realize other women experienced them elsewhere.

Do any of you have experience with period cramps in the lower back and yet have had contractions felt in the abdomen? How have you experienced both?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Mine never felt like period cramps haha they felt like my whole stomach tightened up and something was trying to rip out lol.

rjmac88
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I get both my cramps and contractions across my back and down my hips and legs. Yes they feel similar... But waaaaaaay stronger. Who knows what yours will do. Everyone is different
1st_time_mom789
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

When I was pregnant with DD, and I had contractions, I had the constipated cramps. If that makes any sense and yes I know it's TMI. But that's what it felt like to me. It didn't feel like period cramps at all. But every person is different. 

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Mine didn't feel like period cramps at all. More like diarrhea cramps. Way sharper pain than period cramps.

And I've always had back labor.
rfhsure
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Ive never had period cramps, but i can tell you either way that contractions are much worse. there really is no way to describe them. For me i felt like I really could feel my cervix opening. very strange feeling.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Back labor generally depends on baby's position, not a history of period cramps. Which is why women may experience them with one pregnancy but not the next. Early contractions can feel like period cramps. But active labor they do not. They feel like your entire abdomen is tightning to an extreme.

mamakristena210
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I always feel it in back during period but when I had both my daughters offer it in front and back and ur stomach balls up hard as a rock
lillucky8
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Mine felt like they started as period cramps, then radiated to the back and went way past period cramp pain. And the entire belly gets hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Contractions feel like intense period cramps at the beginning of labor. They tend to get much stronger than that as labor goes on. How you experience period cramps has no bearing on how labor will feel. Back labor generally happens because of the way baby is positioned. 

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My period was much worse than my labor. I would bin so much pain it caused me to throw up all day.

My labor was tightening that started on both sides Andover towards the lower abs and peaked... Back labor is usually caused form a "sunny side up" presentation 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)