Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Eating while laboring

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 48 Replies
Where we are delivering dd #2 I am allowed to eat and drink .

Where you are delivering is that allowed?
If not will you eat anyways?
What reason did they give that you can't eat?
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterwings
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

They let me eat both times. I was in too much pain to worry with eating the first time, but i ate the 2nd time. It made me extremely nauseous. I was miserable and threw up a lot :/

shoot4thestars
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I don't know if I was or not.  When the contractions started getting really bad, food was the last thing on my mind.  And I had to start pushing about an hour after I got the epidural.

lifeglow
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Im afraid i wont be able to eat. I have to eat when my body says to or else i will feel terrible. I have a feeling i might be mean bc nobody will let me eat anything. BUT when i go into labor....im getting me a large mocha that i have been craving this whole pregnancy and im takimg my sweet time and drinking it :D Omg now i want one :( My hormones are everywhere sorry if i sound like a mean person lol!!
MybabyKisses
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I was able to eat and drink with my last one bc I was goin all natural.
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I'm allowed but refrain as my labors are intense and precipitous. If I had a long labor I would eat
Imsoinlove
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I never did...well they gave me a popsicle and ice with my first but that was a total of 9 hrs and with my second labor & delivery went pretty fast a total of 3 hours, so I ate like 5-10 minuts after she was born lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xanbuttsmom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I'm laboring at home and a birthing center with midwives. They encourage eating lightly during labor. I'm packing raw veggies and a fresh fruit bowl to take with me to the birthing center in case I want a snack Gatorade too.

A lot of times they don't want you to eat "in case" you "need" a c section. Anesthesia and food don't mix.

I suggest laboring at home for as long as you can that way you can do whatever makes you comfortable. By the time you get to the hospital you won't have to worry about anything but pushing :)
natural_s
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I never questioned whether I was allowed to eat while laboring and it never crossed my mind because when I was in the hospital I was in to much pain to be thinking about food, lol

I don't think I would eat though for the simple fact that labor is so unpredictable and even though I have never been in any predicament that I needed a C-section, I would not want to put myself at any extra risk if I was snacking and something happened that I needed an emergency one.

lillucky8
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I ate before going to the hospital both times. With dd my nurse didnt care, with ds my nurse was old school and wouldnt even allow me water, i wasnt a happy mama. I drink a ton of water, i felt so parched by the time i gave birth...not nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakristena210
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
They don't like u to eat usually for the chance of c section. I never ate but ice cu my mouth was dry. Honestly if I don't eat when I'm hungry my stomach gets pretty nasty with me but wen I was in labor I never even though bout food til it was all done
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)