Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Diapers...Size? Brand? Suggestions please (:

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

I would really like to start buying diapers now, but I am completely clueless as to what sizes I should get. I don't want to buy a bunch of one size and then the baby grow out of them! Any suggestions on sizes that I should get and how many? I'm pretty sure it's different also if you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding? Not sure, but I will be breastfeeding. And also what brand do you suggest? I was thinking maybe of buying different brands, but I would really like to stick with one brand. Anyways, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! (:

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I think diapers are really a personal preference. No matter what disposable you get there will be blow outs with EBF baby poo. Cloth won't blow out though if you're interested in that.

As for sizes, baby will really vary. If you buy them and keep them closed you can exchange them for the right size though. We cloth diaper now but when we didn't I was a dedicated Huggies fan, we ran out and went to get some at Target rather then our usual Costco and were not about to pay their price so we bought Target brand to hold us over and they were the same thing as Huggies but a lot cheaper. We stuck with them until we switched to cloth and now i wouldn't go back to any disposable ever!

polkaspots
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I suggest cloth diapers. They're so much cheaper and nicer. I use prefolds, flats and covers, while DH uses alvababy pockets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katallison
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Actually I REALLY wanted to use cloth diapers...but my dh thinks it would be to gross. I have read a little about them and it seems to me that everyone who uses them LOVES them! I also think of how much more comfortable a cloth diaper would be for the baby compared to disposable diapers. Can you please give me more information on cloth. Cleaning them, washing them, ect. ?? Also a few more questions (sorry) how does you husband feel about the cloth style? I know mine won't be changing many diapers so I feel that I should just pick what I feel I would rather have. And then last question, do you stick to the cloth diapers when you go out in public and just pack an extra or two depending on how long the outing will be or do you use disposable?

polkaspots
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I don't buy disposables ever. My parents keep a package of them at their house for when we spend nights, but that's it. DH likes the cloth diapers, and uses them every day, but he doesn't like the flats or prefolds (they take longer to put on) so he uses pocket diapers almost exclusively. We only have three all in one diapers. I have a weird wash routine, I'll explain that now, although it is a bit long. I wash my absorbent stuff in one load and my covers/pocket covers in another load. For my flats, prefolds, doublers, pocket inserts, doublers, all in ones and my one home made contour diaper the wash routine goes like this: rinse, pre wash (about 4 minutes long) with 1/4 scoop of detergent, heavy wash (14minute wash cycle) with between a 1/2scoop to a full scoop of detergent and another rinse. My covers go into the washing machine and go through a rinse, but then I put in a load of clothing and wash like normal. That also includes an extra rinse afterwards. On the financial aspect, my entire stash cost about $350 and it has lasted me over a year so far. It could have been less, but I started out buying almost $20 diapers because I didn't know better. Disposables cost a minimum of $50 a month. An exclusively breastfed infant's poo will come out in the washing machine by itself, but after that phase it has to be rinsed off. I don't use a diaper sprayer, I just scrape off solids and then wash it in the sink before I throw it in the bin. I do laundry about every other day, but the diapers only twice a week. For detergent I use home made stuff out of laundry soap bars, borax and washing soda. That's because I was too cheap to continue buying tide coldwater which had been my favorite detergent. I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head, but I'll answer any questions you have.

Quoting katallison:

Actually I REALLY wanted to use cloth diapers...but my dh thinks it would be to gross. I have read a little about them and it seems to me that everyone who uses them LOVES them! I also think of how much more comfortable a cloth diaper would be for the baby compared to disposable diapers. Can you please give me more information on cloth. Cleaning them, washing them, ect. ?? Also a few more questions (sorry) how does you husband feel about the cloth style? I know mine won't be changing many diapers so I feel that I should just pick what I feel I would rather have. And then last question, do you stick to the cloth diapers when you go out in public and just pack an extra or two depending on how long the outing will be or do you use disposable?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSarah1104
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
As far as disposables I by far prefer the pampers. I would suggest two of the biggest boxes in all the sizes except newborn. You might need more later, but I'm guessing you probably won't have too many if you just get two of the biggest boxes.
daydreamer86
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I love pampers and huggies but generic or luvs work well too. You will never know whats works best for your child until you try them. My son only blew out when i needed to go up a size. I never go by weight, as all babies are different. My son would blow up his back on tbe days he went poop for the first time in days. He was a breast feed baby.
Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

diapers are kinda a personal choice but BOTH my kids have done best with Target Up and Up...much cheaper, and work amazing. I always got a couple small packs of newborn, a couple boxes of size 1 and up...if they aren't open you can always exchange what isn't used.

HisB0107
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Cloth diapers :) Depending on the size of your baby, you'll need a newborn stash and then just a one size stash.

We do disposables and cloth. Sposies when we're out and about. But cloth when we're in. When we use sposies, it's typically Huggies Snug and Dry. It's the only kind that I can trust on my kids without giving them a rash and they seem to hold pretty well. 

You'll probably have to just buy a few different brands and experiment on your LO once he/she is born.

Clemency3
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

1's come in handy. new borns for me never lasted long enough. so I went through 1's and 3's for the longest period of time. Brand has never mattered to me since my 2 were not sensitive to any brand. I typically go store brand like parent's choice for walmart or target brand. huggies and pampers are ok...over these 2 i prefer huggies. 

Triple paste is a diaper cream I highly recommend. It was the ONLY diaper cream that worked well for my kids. 

CafeMom Tickers
ilovemykids732
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

My DS is allergic to any disposable diapers other than Parents Choice diapers from Walmart... We have bought so many idk how many you will need... each child can be allergic to any kind though... so I wouldn't buy ahead until you see how the baby's bottom works with them...!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)