Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cant decide on delivery option!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 16 Replies

i have two options: a local hospital with seeing an ob/gyn and possibly midwife.. or a very-far-away birthing center with a somewhat-far-away midwife. 

what would you choose?? my last birth i went the conventional route and went to a hospital and seen an ob/gyn for my prenatal care. i felt like i was in an assembly line. i did not bond with my doctor and i did not feel in charge in the delivery room. the staff was respectful of my choice to not give my daughter the eye ointment, vitamin k injection, or the hep. b vaccine. but hospital policy absolutely requires either an iv or a hep lock..i do not feel comfortable with an open line into my body, and i would rather avoid that! i also would like to not be stuck to birth on a hospital bed, not able to have a water birth in a tub, or be restricted to staying in the bed and not being allowed to walk around.

on the other hand, the birthing inn that i am interested in is an hour away! longer if there is bridge traffic! my last labor was very quick, dilating from 4cm [where i had been for weeks] to 8cm in 25 minutes. the closest midwife with privelages at the birthing center is a town away from me. she is the only midwife anywhere near me, and i havent even called her yet to see if she is available! im afraid to, lol!

so i am stuck between just settling for the conventional route for the sake of convenience, or trying to get into the birthing inn even though it is very far away. :\

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ImNotKarl
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I have a midwife (well, a couple). It's a little over a half hour away to the birth center I use, if the traffic is decent. It's worth it for me, because my birth experience with my son was so fantastic, and I have such a great rapport with my midwives. I tried an OB, well, 4 OBs, and switched. So glad I did.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

i am glad you are happy! another reason i am not too keen on ob/gyn's..theyre too conventionally minded! my last doctor got it into her head that i was going to have pre-eclampsyia because of *one*.. *ONE* slightly elevated blood pressure reading.. at week 37-38! in the middle of summer! while in the middle of pre-labor contractions/braxton hicks mix! uhhh, yea, if thats not going to raise my blood pressure, i dont know what else will! lol!

so even if i end up going the hospital route, i am still going to try to see a midwife on top of registering with one of the hospitals doctors.

Quoting ImNotKarl:

I have a midwife (well, a couple). It's a little over a half hour away to the birth center I use, if the traffic is decent. It's worth it for me, because my birth experience with my son was so fantastic, and I have such a great rapport with my midwives. I tried an OB, well, 4 OBs, and switched. So glad I did.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Have you tried to find a homebirthing midwife? Sounds like you would be a great candidate!

Otherwise personally, I would do the one farther away, anything to get the experience you deserve! And maybe consider getting a birthing kit, JUST IN CASE you deliver too quickly you are prepared!

I am on my second homebirth! My first was kinda expected but not really planned (the closest hospital to me is about an hour and 15 min without traffic. I had hired a doula! So when I called her she came to my home to head with me to the hospital, except when she arrived I was in active labor and unable to travel. Labor start to finish was 1hr and 58 min. My Doula delivered my daughter at home. Best experience of my life, and all my fears about another hospital birth were avoided!

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

i drove an hr to my dr but it was 18hr for my first and 12 hrs with my second.

honestly if i had a midwife an hr away i would go. our closest midwife is about 3hrs away!

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

You seem very natural minded, seriously a homebirth may be in your best interest if you can find a midwife you like :)

My experience hospital birthing midwives are very similar to OBs, and have to follow the same rules. So you may find your experience with them is the same as an OB!

Quoting wolfybaby:

i am glad you are happy! another reason i am not too keen on ob/gyn's..theyre too conventionally minded! my last doctor got it into her head that i was going to have pre-eclampsyia because of *one*.. *ONE* slightly elevated blood pressure reading.. at week 37-38! in the middle of summer! while in the middle of pre-labor contractions/braxton hicks mix! uhhh, yea, if thats not going to raise my blood pressure, i dont know what else will! lol!

so even if i end up going the hospital route, i am still going to try to see a midwife on top of registering with one of the hospitals doctors.

Quoting ImNotKarl:

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

oh, i suppose that would be a third option! lol! it sounds like you had a really great experience. i am not opposed to a home birth at all, except i dont exactly live in a home, persay. currently i am residing in a 5th wheel [travel trailer] as part of being the groundskeeper for my equestrian club. it is large enough to fit a birthing tub, which i can rent from a local doula. but it will be a tight fit, id imagine. not much space for walking around. 

do you know if doulas normally accept dshs insurance? would just having a doula be fine for a planned home birth, or would i want a midwife too?

i totally forgot about the idea of a homebirth, now youve got me rethinking everything..

Quoting NoraDun:

Have you tried to find a homebirthing midwife? Sounds like you would be a great candidate!

Otherwise personally, I would do the one farther away, anything to get the experience you deserve! And maybe consider getting a birthing kit, JUST IN CASE you deliver too quickly you are prepared!

I am on my second homebirth! My first was kinda expected but not really planned (the closest hospital to me is about an hour and 15 min without traffic. I had hired a doula! So when I called her she came to my home to head with me to the hospital, except when she arrived I was in active labor and unable to travel. Labor start to finish was 1hr and 58 min. My Doula delivered my daughter at home. Best experience of my life, and all my fears about another hospital birth were avoided!

ImNotKarl
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My first OB told me she wouldn't "do" natural deliveries. The second started planning my induction at 16 weeks. The third I left when I showed up for my appointment... and he didn't. I also have severe trypanophobia, so the fourth was really the final straw. I told her I need very advanced warning before any shots or blood draws, that I didn't want an IV unless absolutely necessary, and that an epidural was out of the question. She told me to stay open-minded about an epi and that *if* I was able to have a natural birth, she would be completely shocked as she had only seen one woman do it. She then told me that I could not decline an IV, or have any say as to what went into it, so if she wanted to start pitocin, it would be started. At the end of the appointment she sent a nurse in to give me a flu shot, consent form and needle in hand, with absolutely no warning. I went into a panic and was removed from the clinic as a danger to myself and others.

I switched at 22 weeks, and it worked for me. Good luck finding what works for you! :)

Quoting wolfybaby:

Quoting ImNotKarl:

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Doula's normally do not take insurance. BUT let me give you two suggestions.

#1 You can search around for a Doula. Mine charges me $500 but lets me make payments. And I swear she is a saint, unlike an OB I can get ahold of her (and my midwife) any time day or night, with any question. (Actually both my Midwife and Doula fussed at me for not calling them to go to the ER with me the other day. Funny ladies, I would of felt awful waking them out at midnight to come LOL) Also keep in mind NORMALLY Doula's don't deliver. BUT they will attend your birth and they will help deliver (atleast if you find one that will). Essentially it would be considered an unassisted homebirth. And you would want to find a Doula with plenty of expereince. My Doula has delivered MANY babies, and is trained as a Midwife (but is still in the process of getting her certificate as one) so she knows how to help in an emergency and feels comfy doing so. BUT not all Doula's will. So you will have to research!!

#2 The other option if you are only thinking about space, is renting a motel room. Something small, not fancy. Just something with a clean bed and room for your tub. Then you can fit everyone in comfortably, and you can still have a birth outside of the hospital. My Midwife does take insurances. My insurance covers everything except a birthing assistant which in my state has to attend with the Midwife. So I have to pay $600 to my Midwife for the assistant (which I am making in payments) and then I am paying my Doula her $500 in payments. Its well worth it to me. Obs always treated me like something was always wrong, they always made predictions that weren't correct (such as I would have a preemie due to contractions, or that my babies were 9-10 lbers, but my largest was only 7lbs 9oz) They were always on edge and running rediculous tests. And during labor everything was rushed, or I had to follow their (and hospital) rules. Which almost lead to my losing my second son! For me homebirth is the only way. BUT not everyone feels that way or is comfortable with that. But just by reading your posts you seem more natural minded like pregnancy is normal and natural not a medical emergency. So do you research, you may find a homebirth is the right choice for you :)

Quoting wolfybaby:

oh, i suppose that would be a third option! lol! it sounds like you had a really great experience. i am not opposed to a home birth at all, except i dont exactly live in a home, persay. currently i am residing in a 5th wheel [travel trailer] as part of being the groundskeeper for my equestrian club. it is large enough to fit a birthing tub, which i can rent from a local doula. but it will be a tight fit, id imagine. not much space for walking around. 

do you know if doulas normally accept dshs insurance? would just having a doula be fine for a planned home birth, or would i want a midwife too?

i totally forgot about the idea of a homebirth, now youve got me rethinking everything..

Quoting NoraDun:

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

pregnancy isnt an illness, its a powerful experience. :] i am extremely naturally minded, but i am also lazy. i tend to lean towards convenience, though i will adamantly refuse hospital staff to take my baby to the nursery or give her any drugs or a bottle, etc.

do you recommend having both a midwife and a doula? i am very tight on money these days. another appeal of the conventional hospital route is that my state insurance would cover everything.. the birthing center charges a $200+ registration fee that isnt covered by any insurance. :\

Quoting NoraDun:

#1 You can search around for a Doula. Mine charges me $500 but lets me make payments. And I swear she is a saint, unlike an OB I can get ahold of her (and my midwife) any time day or night, with any question. (Actually both my Midwife and Doula fussed at me for not calling them to go to the ER with me the other day. Funny ladies, I would of felt awful waking them out at midnight to come LOL) Also keep in mind NORMALLY Doula's don't deliver. BUT they will attend your birth and they will help deliver (atleast if you find one that will). Essentially it would be considered an unassisted homebirth. And you would want to find a Doula with plenty of expereince. My Doula has delivered MANY babies, and is trained as a Midwife (but is still in the process of getting her certificate as one) so she knows how to help in an emergency and feels comfy doing so. BUT not all Doula's will. So you will have to research!!

#2 The other option if you are only thinking about space, is renting a motel room. Something small, not fancy. Just something with a clean bed and room for your tub. Then you can fit everyone in comfortably, and you can still have a birth outside of the hospital. My Midwife does take insurances. My insurance covers everything except a birthing assistant which in my state has to attend with the Midwife. So I have to pay $600 to my Midwife for the assistant (which I am making in payments) and then I am paying my Doula her $500 in payments. Its well worth it to me. Obs always treated me like something was always wrong, they always made predictions that weren't correct (such as I would have a preemie due to contractions, or that my babies were 9-10 lbers, but my largest was only 7lbs 9oz) They were always on edge and running rediculous tests. And during labor everything was rushed, or I had to follow their (and hospital) rules. Which almost lead to my losing my second son! For me homebirth is the only way. BUT not everyone feels that way or is comfortable with that. But just by reading your posts you seem more natural minded like pregnancy is normal and natural not a medical emergency. So do you research, you may find a homebirth is the right choice for you :)

Quoting wolfybaby:

Quoting NoraDun:

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Well search around, My Midwife takes state insurance and I dont think their is anything out of pocket that way.

As far as which to use that is completely up to your comfort! I have done lots of research and feel comfortable even in an unassisted birth. And may be delivering on my own depending on speed of labor this time around. That doesn't scare me a bit! So with that being said if I have to deliver on my own, or if only my Doula is around at the time of delivery I am ok with that.

But if your not comfortable with that a Midwife is a better option. And you could just do the Midwife and not the Doula. Essentially a doula is meant to be a laboring partner to you, helping your through labor, with massage etc. Midwives can do some of that as well, so going with one or the other is ok! Which one is up to your comfort level.

Hope all that makes since :)

Quoting wolfybaby:

pregnancy isnt an illness, its a powerful experience. :] i am extremely naturally minded, but i am also lazy. i tend to lean towards convenience, though i will adamantly refuse hospital staff to take my baby to the nursery or give her any drugs or a bottle, etc.

do you recommend having both a midwife and a doula? i am very tight on money these days. another appeal of the conventional hospital route is that my state insurance would cover everything.. the birthing center charges a $200+ registration fee that isnt covered by any insurance. :\

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting wolfybaby:

Quoting NoraDun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured