Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Evening primrose oil

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
I was looking up evening primrose oil because I heard it can help things along if you're overdue, which I'm not yet, I'm just looking for alternatives to being induced just in case I do go over. My 39th week appointment was yesterday and she said my cervix was still WAY up there, she really had to reach to find it.
The information I found said that it can soften your cervix, but pregnant women shouldn't use it because of the potential for complications, but it didn't say what the complications were for pregnant women, it only said that some people may get digestive problems while on it.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kstorm234
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
By complications it means that it softens your cervix. The warning is really so women early in pregnancy don't take it. Some women start taking a low dose as early as 28 weeks though and gradually increase it over time.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Talk to your doctor. I'm pretty sure you use it vaginally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livingforthem83
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I used it orally and vaginally, and I had bleeding complications. I started bleeding one night and had to be induced because it wouldn't stop. Then after birth my uterus wouldn't clamp off. I had to be given a shot for it to stop bleeding. I wish I would have never used it, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Since you used it orally and vaginally, do you think maybe you were taking too much? How much and how often did you take it? Did you have other risk factors or complications? Is it a capsule that dissolves in your vagina or do you have to take it out after a while?
Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about it before I ask my doctor and make a decision, thanks.

Quoting livingforthem83:

I used it orally and vaginally, and I had bleeding complications. I started bleeding one night and had to be induced because it wouldn't stop. Then after birth my uterus wouldn't clamp off. I had to be given a shot for it to stop bleeding. I wish I would have never used it, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM
That's what I thought, I'm going to ask the doctor before I start taking it of course.

Quoting kstorm234:

By complications it means that it softens your cervix. The warning is really so women early in pregnancy don't take it. Some women start taking a low dose as early as 28 weeks though and gradually increase it over time.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I don't take anything like that, honestly.

lovebugs_mom906
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I used it starting 38 or 39 weeks. I inserted it vaginally at night, and never had complications. In a week, I went from long, thick and closed to 1cm dilated and soft. Talk to your doctor, and see what they say. I believe it helped me.
livingforthem83
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
No I had no other complications. I could have taken too much. I did one orally and one vaginally. It's capsules that dissolve. I also think that it's effects vary from woman to woman, my body probably couldn't handle it. But from my experience I wouldn't tell anyone to do it.

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Since you used it orally and vaginally, do you think maybe you were taking too much? How much and how often did you take it? Did you have other risk factors or complications? Is it a capsule that dissolves in your vagina or do you have to take it out after a while?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about it before I ask my doctor and make a decision, thanks.

Quoting livingforthem83:

sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I used it while ttc, and I think it said to only take it from cd1-cd10 because it can cause uterine contractions. But you are looking to have contractions so maybe you should try it? lol 

I took a pill in the morning and a pill at night.

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Thank you, I'm sorry you had complications from it, I will take that into consideration.

Quoting livingforthem83:

No I had no other complications. I could have taken too much. I did one orally and one vaginally. It's capsules that dissolve. I also think that it's effects vary from woman to woman, my body probably couldn't handle it. But from my experience I wouldn't tell anyone to do it.

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting livingforthem83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)