Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Big baby?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 17 Replies
My due date is Monday, June 17th. This is my second pregnancy & I'm expecting a son. I had an ultrasound yesterday because my last one shown that my son would be "big". I'm 39 weeks 4 days & from the ultrasound he's measuring to be 8lbs 4oz. So my OB was talking of a possible c-section because of his size (I'll know more information when I hear from him because he did not perform my ultrasound). I'm a little apprehensive of this because when I gave birth to my daughter in August 2009 she was 8lbs 3oz, I delivered vaginally with no tearing & no episiotomy. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else? Thank you.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM
This happened to my friend in march but her baby was 10 pounds 7 ounces lol my doctor doesn't do that unless the baby is over 9 pounds and he also takes into factor if the mother had a hard delivery with her last baby.
lilyrose2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM
No I had a 9 pound 7 oz baby my first time and a 8 lb 5oz baby the second time and just tore a lil bit with both. No episiotomy and no c-section.
Jenna13Wilson
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My first labor was 3 hours & 15 minutes. I pushed for 45 minutes. I was blessed.
ERMDK
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
First of all, ultrasounds can be way off! A friend was told she "needed" to be induced at 39 weeks because the baby would be over 10#. She went into labor naturally the night before her scheduled induction, and the baby was 8.10. Big but not 10+#! And I had a 9.6 baby girl, all natural, for my first vbac. I'm expecting a 9-10# boy for my second vbac within the next 2 weeks. Some people have big babies. It's not an emergency!
goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My first was 8.8lbs and a natural, but I did tear horribly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natural_s
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Can't you refuse a c-section? I have no experience with them but if you already delivered a nice side baby vaginally I don't see why the doctor would suggest a c-section.

I know ultrasounds can be off, so it can go either way. I have delivered two 8pound babies ( 8lbs11oz & 8lbs13oz) vaginally and with my first one I was told he was only going to be 6lbs, lol.

I just know that our bodies can do amazing things through birth so if you don't want to do it and there is no real emergency I personally would not allow it to happen but that is just me.

Good luck, in the end all that matter's is that your baby is born healthy and safe.

Your so close, yay!!!

rjmac88
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Blow your OB off! Seriously?! 8 pounds?!? That's not even kinda big

I've had 8.8, 8.10 and 8.0. No issues ever
Jenna13Wilson
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
My OB didn't perform the ultrasound, the doctor who did said he would fax him the results, so I'm hoping to hear from him today. I don't think he is totally set on a c-section I think he was just informing me if my son was/is too big then I would have to opt for one. I'm hoping if I don't go into labor by the 17th they will induce me.
Jenna13Wilson
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I am already 4cm, 80% effaced. Just waiting for active labor.
nerdymom28
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My baby measured big throughout the whole pregnancy. We induced on my due date. She was born at just above 9 pounds. My doctor never mentioned a c-section, because he knew it wasn't necessary. I did have to have a rather large episiotomy, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)