Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Why say this to a pregnant woman?!?! Seriously?!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 69 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am so sick of the negative comments I get. For one, I have had so many people feel the need to tell me labor and birth horror stories. For example: "My son's shoulder got stuck in the birth canal and my doctor had to pull him out! It was the worst pain I've ever felt." or "My cousin had a stillborn at 40 weeks. It was so sad.. I hope that doesn't happen to you." or "My sister got a uterus infection after giving birth and almost died!" or "Labor is the worst pain you will EVER feel. You will wish you could just be dead!" or "I tore so bad with my daughter! I had 10 stitches. That will probably happen to you because your baby is going to be big!" or "my son stopped breathing when I was giving birth and I had to get an emergency c-section. He almost died!" These are real examples of things that have been said to me by multiple people. Like...seriously?! What the hell makes people think it's okay to say things like that to a first time pregnant woman who is due to give birth any day? Do they think I'm not already terrified as is?! Do they think it's funny or something to scare the shit out of me?! That's like someone telling you they are going in for heart surgery in a few days and you respond with something like: "Oh my aunt had heart surgery! It was terrible, she almost died! Good luck with that!". IT'S. NOT. NICE. UGHHH. I am already nervous as hell about giving birth. I don't even want to leave the house or talk to anybody because I just keep being told all these terrible things. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MORE OF IT.

And then there are the comments I get that aren't as bad, but still irritating. For example: "get lots of sleep while you can cause you will never get another good night's sleep in your life once the baby is here." or "Hear that silence? Say goodbye to that when all you hear is a crying baby." ....Yes, thank you all so much for enlightening me! As if I wasn't aware that having a baby isn't all rainbows and butterflies. I am well aware that I am going to be giving up my free time and sleeping in for diaper changes, crying fits and sleepless nights. Is it really necessary for you to negatively point out how challenging it is going to be?! I am already incredibly nervous about becoming a mom for the first time and how I'm going to handle the huge change that is about to take over my life...in fact I think about it everyday. So I don't need anybody to remind me how hard it is going to be thank you very much. I am scared but I'm also really excited to be a Mom. Why don't people have anything positive to say about it?

My main point is...in regards to my pregnancy, a simple "congrats" would suffice. If you have something negative to say, keep it to yourself!!!!!! End of rant.

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
5 moms liked this

Haha when pregnant women ask, like my sister, about my birth experience I tell them each one is different and we can talk about it after her baby is born.  

WishingAway
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this

AMEN!!!! Good luck with your delivery girl I am sure it will go fine!!!!

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Birth is like nothing you have ever felt. I will tell you that when baby pops out you get the BEST hormonal high ever and its so wonderful! Plus you get to hold your awesome new baby.

With 1 baby you will still have plenty of quiet. New babies sleep a lot. Just sleep when baby sleeps and you will be decently rested even if baby gets up a lot at night.
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM
5 moms liked this

It amazes me honestly. Its like women dislike being women these days. Pregnancy is amazing, and birth is empowering! I think your birth is what you make of it, and many issues are able to be prevented if you educate yourself and avoid interventions. And once baby arrives, I AM IN LOVE! I hate hearing people complain about NB. My babies were up every 2 hrs the first year of their life to nurse and I LOVED it. It was special time I got with them each night to adore them. It was precious to me and something I greatly missed. Its all as beautiful as what you make it out to be. You can be miserable and have a miserable experience or you can enjoy it and have an enjoyable experience. Its all up to you!!!

P.S. and yes crap happens something go wrong, but so what! The next person that says something negative like that tell them to suck it up, get over it, they lived, their child lived, obviously it wasn't that terrible of a situation!

taurusmom88
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

wow. don't people realize that the last thing you need to do is stress about labor? those people are dumb. no matter how labor is you get a beautiful baby in the end. honestly, i love labor. way better than pregnancy in my opinion. lol

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

ugh my coworker does this to me all ther time!!!! shes like * enjoy your sleep now, once that baby comes say goodbye*....i already don't sleep, i work in a daycare, ive been taking care of newborns - pre teens since i was 10, i KNOW what having a baby includes. i don't need the reminder, ask me how im feeling if your really curious, and move on. im with you on this rant!!! <3 Congrats btw

polkaspots
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Congratulations!! And babies are all butterflies and rainbows when they're in a good mood. It makes up for the lack of sleep and constant attention they need:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aortiz22
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM
When people start that which is often I usually keep my lights on but nobody is home I just stop listening I don't want to get upset or get into a shouting match.
LuvMommysBabies
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Good luck with you're delivery. Everybodys experience is different, what happened to one mom my not happen to another, so don't stress about the negative women and their comments. And remember that at the end of everything you get a beautiful baby. And everything thing that did or didn't horn goes out the window.

Congrats!
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
People have vomit mouth when it comes to pregos and babies...they just cant control themselves :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)