Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Stripping Of Membranes???

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 16 Replies
Ok I'm 37 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants to strip my membranes to try to get things going so i could possibly avoid another csection. She said everything is looking good baby is head down in pelvis and cervix is open enough to strip the membranes. Question is does this hurt??? And how affective is it to get labor started???

Thanks in advance!:)
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I've never had it done, personally.  It can introduce bacteria and aren't you still a little early to look into induction methods already?  I wouldn't let her touch me before 40 weeks, if I were you.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM

i had it done once. it made me cramp a lot. but no contractions and no labor. i will not consent to it again. the cramps were not bad, not any worse than braxton-hicks. 

if it may help you avoid a c-section, i would go for it. anything to avoid that! although in my opinion, trying to get things "going" this early will neither work or be very healthy for your baby. i would opt to wait a bit longer.

why does your doctor not let you go into labor naturally rather than artificially start it so early? what is the difference between a few weeks? especially if the baby is already head-down, etc.

tashaluvanthony
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
The thing is that she's not letting me go past 39weeks since i already had a csection so she said we need to start now seems i will only have 2weeks left after Thursday to labor on my own or I will have to have another csection...
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM
That's horrible thinking. I would tell her no, but that is just me.

Quoting tashaluvanthony:

The thing is that she's not letting me go past 39weeks since i already had a csection so she said we need to start now seems i will only have 2weeks left after Thursday to labor on my own or I will have to have another csection...
MacMamaof5
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

YOu don't have to be bullied into stripping anything. Especially at 37 weeks when the lungs could possibly NOT be ready regardless of how the cervix looks.  Sounds like she has an upcoming vacation she wants to make sure she gets to.  ASK HER what her upcoming plans are and I bet it'll come out.  You don't have to be bullied into any c*section either.  I've had my membranes stripped, but never so far from my due date.  If anything a day or two earlier, but not at 37 weeks.  I have a high tolerance for pain so I can't vouch for if it actually hurts or not.

tashaluvanthony
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
That's what i figured but really just don't want another section. I figured i didn't have a choice that if i didn't labor before 39weeks that i have to have a section done since she is against anything further than that
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

banging head into wallI think I have learned sharing information is like beating my head against a brick wall...or beating a dead horse LOL!! Instead of asking on cafemom and being unhappy with what responses you may get I would suggest googling! Google risk of induction at 37 wks, Risk of stripping memberanes, etc. Then make the decision you feel is best for you! You can google how to keep your Dr from bullying you into unnessesary procedures, etc as well. Hope everything works out for you hun! Good Luck

yummypeaches
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Well I am due on the 18th of this month. I had my membrane stripped at 37, 38, and 39 weeks. And it has done NOTHING for me. So there ya go....

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I had it done twice with #3 and NOTHING happened except pain during the procedure, he came on his own time AT 40w.  Pretty funny cause that is his exact personality.

Had it done with #2 at 39.3w, it wasn't too painful and baby was born the next evening.  She was my 3rd VBAC, however, they would have let me go through until 40.6 and even then I convinced them to do NST's at that point vs a repeat c-section.  I truely believe it would not have worked if she wasn't ready.

I would advise to not let them strip before 39w and if they insist, make it known that you WILL not be forced into a repeat c-section.  My doctors were giving me a time limit because they fought hard to get the hospital to allow VBAC's again after 15yrs (women were having to go 4hrs for a VBAC) so they had to ride a fine line to keep the VBACs at the hospital.  In your case, it sounds like doc just wants to push ya on through.  

tashaluvanthony
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Thanks Everybody For Your Responses
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)