Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is my dr right?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 18 Replies

Alright ladies. Weird question...

Im 28.5 weeks with twins. YAY ME (never thought I would make it to viability stage with early problems) went in on Monday because I was having a lot of pain while sitting down. It was like menstural cramps happening 3-4 times in an hour. No specific timing in it at all. I would feel a ball like hardening about 3 inchs above my naval. It would cause some pain for a few then stop. Well I thought maybe im just tired on Sunday I had worked about 9 hours of OT the week before. Just an extra hour or so a day. (No I dont do anything stressful, love my job, its a desk job) So I went to sleep on sunday, slept through the night, which was odd because I get up twice to get recomfy. As soon as I got up on Monday the pains started again. So i called off work, which I hated and went to the dr. He said that the "balling" up im feeling is baby B balling up (he joked an said well call him ball for now) Told me that I should only start to worry if I feel 6 of the cramps in an hour for more then 2 hours. He also suggested some moderate bed rest because I needed more rest. I told him I couldnt afford to take off of work. He said then on days your off be in bed, no parks or walking with the two LO you have now. You have a high chance of becoming deheydrated. bleh bleh bleh... so i said okay an reluctantly have done as I was told.

Well now, a week later im feeling something completely different and I dont know if its normal, braxton hicks, or something I should be concerned about..

I feel a cramp that starts up top of my belly and goes to my lower. I can feel a tightening sensation but I cant tell if its movements or not. The pain is like menstrual cramps and I have a high tolerance for pain I guess idk. My back constantly hurts so that is no help on if its real or not. I should also mention the twins are showing to be about 2 weeks ahead of schedule in weight and growth. 

Any insight? Its driving me nutso.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
his88angel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Bump
bygodsluv
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Id call the Dr. You may end up on total bedrest. I hope all goes well..congratulations on twins! So amazing!
Corinnesingh
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I would call the dr.. Sorry I don't have advice other than that, but I have never been pregnant with twins... And I am sure I don't wanna tell u the wrong thing.. Keep us posted...

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Call your doctor. That's what you pay them for. You do what you have to do to keep the babies safe. You don't want to have them this early. Call your doctor.

nana-to-9
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Did he do a vaginal exam?  Were  you placed on a fetal monitor?  Did he do a fetal fibronectin test?  Sounds like contractions to me....tough to tell if it is a progressive preterm labor without doing the the things i mentioned.   

(I am an OB nurse)

cadkins07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM

He did a  vaginal exam. still high and no dialation. No monitors no test. Said with twins is normal for me to cramp. Which I understand I guess im on edge becuase my uterus is really thin at 2mm well it was at 21 weeks we havent checked it since then. 

Quoting nana-to-9:

Did he do a vaginal exam?  Were  you placed on a fetal monitor?  Did he do a fetal fibronectin test?  Sounds like contractions to me....tough to tell if it is a progressive preterm labor without doing the the things i mentioned.   

(I am an OB nurse)

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If you are unsure about what your Dr says, call L&D and ask them what to do.

My twins were born at 29 weeks 5 days, and I would have done ANYTHING to keep them in a few more days.

nicole2884
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I think the rule of thumb is more that 3 that are consistent an last a minute each
cadkins07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Everything about this pregnancy I am unsure of. Half the time I wouldnt know I was actually pregnant if  didnt feel a movement or cramp. 

Quoting Bethbeth:

If you are unsure about what your Dr says, call L&D and ask them what to do.

My twins were born at 29 weeks 5 days, and I would have done ANYTHING to keep them in a few more days.

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

The first "pain" I would agree, the one you are experiencing now does sound like contractions.  With a thin uterus, I'd call.  I agree with PP that you may get put on complete bed rest :/  It's better to be safe then sorry.

Wife, Mother of 3, Photographer, Student Birth & Postpartum Doula, Birth Advocate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)